Thursday, June 11, 2009

Yet another slip and Oop!

This is exactly how I slipped and fell last night. After mopping my apartment floor, and pleased with what I had done, I was to take a quick shower and went back to work. And lo! that's how I ended.

I landed on my buttock. It was a complete silence. I could hear my heart pumping. I dared not move. Many thoughts went through my mind. But, I whispered a little prayer. As I gathered my courage to move, I literally leaped with joy - I could move! There were no pain! It was a miracle, considering this -

(I wrote this in September 2007)
In 1993, I slipped and fell. I broke my left elbow and had surgery done to fix it. I had a wire to fasten the broken pieces together. The wire was removed a year later.

In 2003, I slipped and fell again. This time, I broke my right knee. Similarly, I had surgery done to fix it. This time, the doctor gave me an option – I could just leave that metal in the knee. Having an option, I definitely do not wish to “cut open” my knee another time.

After the two “falls”, especially the last fall in 2003 which limits my activities, I had been watching my steps. I took it as God’s reminder to me to slow down in all aspects of life.

Just as I felt that watching my steps had become part of my life and that nothing is going to trip me and made me stumble, I had another fall.

Two nights ago, I slipped and fell.

There was a pool of water on the airport floor, probably from the leaking of the ceiling which is the “in-thing” in Malaysia lately. I did not see it. I stepped on it, slipped and fell on my left hip.

This time, there was no broken bones. Praise the Lord. And also thanks to my best friend, Sandra, who insisted to give me a printer. My elbow just landed on the box containing the printer.

The lesson I learnt from this latest fall is that once we get clicking along in life and become complacent, there is a danger that something appears to trip us up.

That something could be an emotion, an attitude, an event or even another person that challenges us and temporarily prevents us from being our best.

The key is to never think we are too mature or wise to ever stumble like “those other people” do.

So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall! – 1 Cor 10:12 NIV

2 comments:

iml said...

Do take care & watch your step.
Might want to consider wearing a good pair of anti slip shoes/sandals. This is the time of our lives when falling is dangerous.

Yan said...

iml,

Yes, have been wearing one non-slip slippers. But, somehow, thought, it was so clean that I wanted to feel it with my feet! And forgotten all about the slip and fall!

Fools learnt from own mistakes? I am one clumsy person.He..he..