Monday, June 15, 2009

The Conductor

When I was in my teens, I love this song and would got very sentimental over it every time it was played on radio request program. Well, I still do like the song, still get sentimental over it, but it's different kind of feelings from that of the teenage years!

Here goes the lyrics first, before my other story!

The Lightning Express

The Lightning Express from it's depot so grand
Had started out on it's way
All of the passengers that were on board
Seemed to be happy and gay

But one little boy who sat by himself
Was reading a letter he had
You could plainly tell by thelook on his face
That the contents of it made him sad

The stern old conductor then started his rounds
Taking tickets from everyone there
Finally reaching the side of the boy
He gruffly demanded his fare

I have no ticket the boy then replied
But I'll pay you back someday
Then I'll put you off at the next stop we make
But he stopped when he heard the boy say

(chorus)
Please Mr Conductor, don't put me off of this train.
The best friend I have in the world sir
Is waiting for me in pain

Expected to die any moment sir
And may not live through the day
I want to reach home and kiss Mother goodbye
Before God takes her away

A girl sitting near was heard to exclaim
If you put him off it's a shame
Then taking his hat a collection was made
The boy's fare was paid on the train

I'm obliged to you miss, the boy then replied
You're welcome, she said, never fear
Each time the conductor would pass through the car
The boy's words would ring in his ear

(repeat chorus)

Now, this bus conductor ...


After the Harvest Festival Open House yesterday, I decided to take a bus to the city as when the taxi sent me there, I saw a bus stop at the entrance of KDCA building (where the Open house was held).

As I walked out of the entrance, it was a 100 metres away, I saw a bus at the bus stop. It was about to leave. Well, it looked like I am going to miss this one. But the bus conductor waved at me! So, I got on the bus. He said, "This bus goes to Wawasan terminal."

Alright, I know Wawasan, it's near my place. I could walk back from the bus terminal.

All the way, whenever there was a bus stop, the bus conductor would get down and practically called out, "bus, bus.." I was impressed by his spirit.

At the end of the journey, he nicely said, "Madam, this is the Wawasan terminal." He remembered this stranger in the city!

That's called SERVICE! If I could write a song - the real bus conductor!

7 comments:

suituapui said...

When we are nice to others, they will be nice to use back. We must remember these people - their work is tiring, they have to deal with a lot of difficult people and other kinds of pressure, and they are paid pittance... That's why when I take a cab, if the driver is very pleasant, I always give him extra - 50 sen or a ringgit or more. Not much to me, but the little may make his day

ilene said...

Yan, Not every conductor is like the one you've encountered. Thank your blessings you came across this nice person. I have very bad experience in taking the bus. So, like Suituapui, I would opt for the cab instead and I would always tell them to keep the change.

stay-at-home mum said...

One good deed deserves another .. the conductors nice to you for all the nice things you have done!!

Jo said...

aww.. what a nice chap! :)

Ensurai said...

I have a friend who wants to blog about stories of kindness.
I believe kindness is one word which the world needs to arrest the economic down turn.
Hope more people are like this bus conductors - there will be less stress and more good feelings!

fishtail said...

"All the way, whenever there was a bus stop, the bus conductor would get down and practically called out, "bus, bus.." " How nice. In KL, at each bus stop the bus conductor would stay in the bus and shout, "MASUK, MASUK!"

Greenspot said...

I think Sabahans in general and people in KK are friendly people. KK is one of my favourite place in Malaysia and SE Asia!!!