I pick up this story from the Annual Report of UNICEF -
Ten year-old IZ Wong (not his real name) dreaded an entire year of school because of his teacher, who ruled her Standard Three class with a cane and a heavy hand. Although the physical pain has long faded, what lingers in his mind is the low self-esteem and the feeling of "useless-ness" inflicted by his teacher's punishments. Corporal and all forms of destructive punishment have far-reaching negative effects on children, as it perpetuates aggression, as well as contributes to mental health issues, physical injuries and abuse...
I first met Youssouf Oomar, UNICEF Representative to Malaysia in Mukah last year. Then, I met him again in Kuala Lumpur when we launched the book, Rivers of Sarawak, a joint effort of Borneo Post and UNDP (United Nations Development Program). He was in town in Kota Kinabalu yesterday. But I did not get to meet him, instead I met his colleague. We deliberated on subjects of Children's Rights which UNICEF is promoting through the law in Malaysia.
It was an eye-opener. Quoting Kofi Annan (Former UN Secretary-General) -
"The principle of 'all children, all rights' is still much too far from being a reality."
But, one thing, I am sure, a little kindness shown along our life path, to people who cross our path, can go a long way.
Because it is within each and every one of us. - quote Youssouf Oomar
Tomorrow I am meeting someone whom I am inviting to join my team here. A very qualified person. An ex-staff. When he called to confirm our meeting, I asked, "Have we met before?"
Yes! That was the firm answer and I could feel the air of excitement.
I held on the phone. He said, "You did something special when we met in Kuching while planning for the World Cup supplement in 2002. You practically unplugged a desktop publishing unit and sent to Kota Kinabalu for us to use. And we were very touched. I could never forget that. You are the boss on board with us!"
It was my turn to be touched!
Ten year-old IZ Wong (not his real name) dreaded an entire year of school because of his teacher, who ruled her Standard Three class with a cane and a heavy hand. Although the physical pain has long faded, what lingers in his mind is the low self-esteem and the feeling of "useless-ness" inflicted by his teacher's punishments. Corporal and all forms of destructive punishment have far-reaching negative effects on children, as it perpetuates aggression, as well as contributes to mental health issues, physical injuries and abuse...
I first met Youssouf Oomar, UNICEF Representative to Malaysia in Mukah last year. Then, I met him again in Kuala Lumpur when we launched the book, Rivers of Sarawak, a joint effort of Borneo Post and UNDP (United Nations Development Program). He was in town in Kota Kinabalu yesterday. But I did not get to meet him, instead I met his colleague. We deliberated on subjects of Children's Rights which UNICEF is promoting through the law in Malaysia.
It was an eye-opener. Quoting Kofi Annan (Former UN Secretary-General) -
"The principle of 'all children, all rights' is still much too far from being a reality."
But, one thing, I am sure, a little kindness shown along our life path, to people who cross our path, can go a long way.
Because it is within each and every one of us. - quote Youssouf Oomar
Tomorrow I am meeting someone whom I am inviting to join my team here. A very qualified person. An ex-staff. When he called to confirm our meeting, I asked, "Have we met before?"
Yes! That was the firm answer and I could feel the air of excitement.
I held on the phone. He said, "You did something special when we met in Kuching while planning for the World Cup supplement in 2002. You practically unplugged a desktop publishing unit and sent to Kota Kinabalu for us to use. And we were very touched. I could never forget that. You are the boss on board with us!"
It was my turn to be touched!
3 comments:
just goes to show how a little act of kindness can be reciprocated years later. conversely, an unkind act can come back to haunt us.
James wrote of the royal law in dealing with people:
If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing right. (2:8)
And those idiots were talking about bringing the cane back...and so many praised the Rule of Fear by "educators" in the old days... If they will only reach out and touch hearts, they will be able to motivate more...and make lives a lot happier and more meaningful for everyone.
Post a Comment