Sunday, May 24, 2009

Something "Japan" in Sabah


I met one of the 550 Japanese staying in Kota Kinabalu two days ago. Minoru Kikuchi is the Consulate-General of Japan at Kota Kinabalu. Just like me, he is new in Sabah, having been posted here only two months ago. He said he has been visiting people. People in the press must be quite high on his list of people to visit!

It was a nice chat in my office. That's how I learnt there are about 550 Japanese living in Sabah. It's a small community. But, it's not difficult to spot tourists from Japan in Sabah. I am envious that Malaysian Airline flies four times a week from Japan to Kota Kinabalu bringing in many tourists!

Yes, I am envious - how about two times a week from Japan to Kuching every week?

Incidentally, a news report said that a 76-year-old grandmother is among 18 Japanese swimmers completing total of 15km swim in open sea in Kota Kinabalu over two days in the Borneo Rainforest Ocean Swim Tour! Will you be as fit as Motoko when you are 76?

Motoko has proven that age is no obstacle to living life to the fullest.

So, Stop envying, start work on it today!


Thanks, Lester (Borneo Post, Sabah) for the pictures!

2 comments:

I Am Sarawakiana said...

Hahaha Yan
I have signed up for aquarobics sometime ago...but haven't taken that one step to buy a swimming suit...now you have inspired and challenged me...I have yet to take two steps - buy the swimming suit and go into the water!!
May take a while!!
(Smile)

Yan said...

Sarawakiana,

Buy one soon and begin! Don't let the Japanese grandma steals the show again! I fully support you!