Friday, May 29, 2009

Eyes of Wonder

I am heading home today after about three weeks away from home. In another few hours' time, I could say, "Phew... finally home!"

In the news room, one of the items on the alert is the "swine flu watch". I like pigs. Now, don't frown. In my young days, my grandmother reared some pigs. I enjoyed feeding them. I enjoyed washing them. And at "harvest" time, I remember I did feel bad. But, soon, we had new piglets to look after!

I was not much of an achiever. Mum would say, "If you can finish the task, swine can also fly!"

Mum did not live to "see" the swine flies. Why not? From Mexico to Malaysia and now even to Singapore - how fast they fly!

Now, read this story by my son, Christopher who wrote this three years ago when he was 11.

My mother gave me a bag of surprises the other day when she greeted me at the school gate. I love surprises, especially those from my mother. She has a magic bag with surprises popping out every now and then. It makes me happy even on a blue day.

Now, here is the surprise – here come five little pigs and their daddy and mummy. You see, mummy always gives surprises. It is more than three little pigs. It is five little pigs.

Let me introduce to you the pigs.

Here come mummy pig. Mummy likes shopping. My sister says mummy can never have enough shoes! Oops… Ssh… My mother likes to say this – Are you spending the money that you have not earned to buy things you don’t need to impress people you don’t like? Today, mummy pig is shopping for her family. She would need vegetables, pepsi, books, a new hat and even a milk bottle.



Vegetables for her darling Mr Veggie! He eats healthy. Look at the greens in his basket! Mr Veggie always says he is the healthiest among the siblings.

I think Mr Veggie is great!




Mummy buys a bottle of Pepsi. Pepsi is for Miss Pepsi. Here you are.

She just loves pepsi. Everyday, she opens her eyes and asks for pepsi. She enjoys the gas!




Look at this baby pig. She is Miss Pacifier.

Mummy is going to buy her a milk bottle.

It takes her ages to grow out of the milk bottle.

She says she wants a new hat. She says this purple hat just does not match with her peach body.

She is Miss Vanity.

She cries when the mirror on the wall says Miss Pepsi is the fairest of them all.



Now here come the apple in the eyes of many uncles and aunties. Why? Because he is Mr Smart.

He is good in his studies. He has just graduated with a law degree from Oxford University.


Finally, here is daddy pig. Mummy pig has nothing for him. He looks sad.

Mummy hands over the empty basket to him and says,

“Tomorrow you are going to shop for all of us. There is a big bad wolf outside the house huffing and puffing. I am taking a rest.”

Why is the big bad wolf huffing and puffing outside the house?

Because it’s so hazy outside that the big bad wolf can hardly breathe! Is daddy going to bring him home for some gaps of clean air?

The end….

Yan’s thoughts -

I have never thought that a simple gift would create such wonders in the eyes of a child. When I caught sight of this bag full of pigs in the Methodist Book Room just next to Chris’ school, I was just caught by the cute little pigs. I did not see the details of the pigs, the Mr Smart being just graduated, a little pig drinking pepsi, a Miss Vanity….

Chris’ wonder-filled eyes reminds me of the Shepherd, our Shepherd,

I am the good Shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me – just as the Father knows me and I know the Father – and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one Shepherd. (John 10:14-16)

Yes, we belong to the Father. He knows each and everyone of us by name and by every details, even the “wolf” in Chris’ wonder eyes seemingly choking outside the house with haze belongs to Him. The Father is ever ready to look for him, find him and never to leave him on his own!

Thank you, Chris, for filling my eyes with wonders today, even when my left eye is still blurry!

13 comments:

Superman said...

Your son is very creative. Nice story. Sometimes a simple gift will create wonders for people who receive it as I believe. Thanks for the nice story and welcome back to Sibu. Enjoy your holidays.

ilene said...

Aisay Yan, you come back, James go there!

For a 11-year kid, Chris writes creatively. Not many children could do that.

Wow, you've got experience in handling pigs! I'm not so fortunate to have touched one. The only one I could feel are those aleady on the shelf in the market.

Welcome home Yan! Have a wonderful weekend!

suituapui said...

So cute the pigs! When I was doing my TESL Specialist course in KL, I collected a whole lot and filled my hostel room. My friends said those people would not dare go to my room because not halal! Hahahahaha!!! When I came back, I had to give them all way - excess baggage, couldn't bring all back! So sayang!

长竹 said...

Yan:
可以叫你的儿子投稿了!你的英文报纸有这种的版位吗?我觉得以前有过。我以前会去看,现在只看华文报,悲哀哀哉!

Jo said...

haha! I enjoyed reading that. So, does Chris aim to be Mr Smart?

stay-at-home mum said...

I guess Chris is like you ~ a good writer!!

Great to be home, not??

Yan said...

Superman,

Yes, home finally! Even the sleep seems more peaceful. Well, I slept well in KK too. But, just that - home, even just a small nest is far better than a palace!

But I miss the morning workout at Hyatt's 5-star gym! Well, I can't have both - remember the story of the greedy dog with a bone? That's what my son said last night!

Yan said...

ilene,

My children loved stories when they were young. So, naturally, they could make up many stories of their own!

My grandmother was a very capable woman. I also had experience of pepper planting and rubber tapping! Not to say, the hens that lay eggs! I am so blessed in many ways!

But it's still busyness that marks the three days home. I had a conference to go to! Ahem!

Yan said...

suituapui,

Gosh! I hope I am not offending anyone by putting the pictures here. Anyway, these pictures are cute.

Yan said...

Zhang Zhu,

We used to write for "money" when in our school days. Now, the children are so "rich" that the small amount of contribution fee does not attract them anymore!

Yan said...

JoMel,

Chris is an "achiever" aiming high thus giving quite a lot of pressure on himself. So, mum needs to be more relaxed!

Yan said...

SAHM,

Like mother like son? Sure, daddy is a "terrible" writer, but an engineer! Ha, ha.

Yes, it's sure nice to be home! But, it's still all work here.

benghui said...

So nice and so cute.