I became a Bak Kut Teh fan about ten years ago when I travelled to Kuala Lumpur on business quite frequently. If it was a meeting in KL and the big boss was also attending, we would all be having Bak Kut Teh for breakfast. Yes, for breakfast! My boss has his diet plan that if he takes vegetables, it would all be vegetables. He does not take vegetables with meat. So, if he decides that today he wants to take vegetables, the Bak Kut Teh will be served with plenty of vegetables in the soup and we hardly could fish any pork out. Unfortunately, or fortunately, the boss seemed to be on a vegetable diet on our Bak Kut Teh's rounds.
With Bak Kut Teh, I have learnt "who is the boss".
With Bak Kut Teh, I have learnt "who is the boss".
Then, we would be hearing from an old senior manager over and over again this trivia. Where is the origin of Bak Kut Teh? Malaysian dish? Or Singaporean may beg to differ. Klang? This senior manager said according to the most plausible version of the story is that Bak Kut Teh was invented by a gentleman from Quangzhou in China. The recipe (secret, of course) was passed to a friend who later went to Klang and became the first person to commercialise and sell Bak Kut Teh. Over the years, it must have copied or improved.
With Bak Kut Teh, I have learnt when a senior tells a story, even if you have heard it many times, you have to pretend you have never heard that before! Even the boss listens!
That's how Bak Kut Teh came into my life!
Because Ilene asked for it (well, a good excuse), I went to the shop just a street away from my office yesterday evening. I could not decide whether to take spare ribs or the stomach and intestines. No mixed order is allowed. I looked at the next table and saw that the bowl is quite small. So I ordered both! I had it to my heart content, though I ate alone! But never quite alone, there were so many others around and I enjoyed looking at people!
It's certainly the best Bak Kut Teh I have ever taken. The soup is flavourful. The meat (four pieces) is tender and sort of melts in the mouth. The intestines and stomach (aplenty!) are just well done!
I am not a food reviewer, so it's natural for me to forget to look at the name of the shop! It's along Gaya Street. It's behind Maybank. You'll get there - just like my colleague said, "You won't miss it. Just follow the aroma of the herbs!"
The price? It's RM13.50. I am pretty happy to part with that amount for that hearty meal!
The price to pay? A 6 km run on the treadmill this early morning!
Just in case a visitor stumbled into my blog and does not know what is Bak Kut Teh 肉骨茶. Here is from wikipedia - "The name literally translates as "meat bone tea", and, at its simplest, consists of meaty pork ribs in a complex broth of herbs and spices (including star anise, cinnamon, cloves, dang gui, and garlic), boiled together with pork bones for hours. However, additional ingredients may include offal, varieties of mushroom, lettuce, and pieces of dried tofu. Light and dark soy sauce are also added to the soup during cooking, with varying amounts depending on the variant. "
16 comments:
oh no... don't do this to me. This is how you can unleash the glutton in me! lol!
And now, you've inspired me to plan for a bkt breakfast one of these weekends. :)
Now that you reminded me. I'm going to have BKT for dinner this weekend. Anyone knows which is the best BKT mix?
JoMel,
Eat to your heart content first. Forget about the calories, you can run them off on the machines! If you are in KK, go to Hyatt, the treadmill will keep you going for it gives such beautiful reading. In all honesty, the reading does keep me going! So, who cares whether the figure is right! LOL
iml,
No clue. But if you come to KK, I would recommend you this place where I went to last night!
Happy BKT day!
Really nice bak kut teh you have there. I missed my chance to try those shop in Gaya street last year when I went to KK as no people point the direction to me. Now I got some hints from you and next time I go KK, I know where to go for good foods. Thanks! By the way, no dry bak kut teh is selling in Sibu as I saw the advertisement in newspaper. Not yet try before.
Bak Kut Teh ? Well I have this story....the towkay who had many indentured servants under him seemed to be very thin and undernourished. So with a golden heart ?)he asked his concubines/wives/maids to cook the bones with star anise and cinnamon sticks with lots of kicap to heat up the bodies of his workers (while he and his family ate all the meat). The soup helped and soon all the workers were sweating away and working and whistling.....
The towkay's kitchen always smelled very nice and soon every one wanted some of the soup too...later he commercialised his soup....
Now who will claim this story?
I heard it many years ago in Singapore....
Cheers to Bak Kut Teh...
Superman,
Oh no, don't tempt me to dry another BKT or dry BKT! I have to "fast" one week for that singful feast.
Sarawakiana,
When CY tells a story, it's always "historial" and of "value" and carries a message! And I am all ears!
Check in for a beautiful story with picture tomorrow which I "lifted" from Bernama.
Now that I am in Sabah, it seems there are so many things to blog about.
Hey Yan, thanks a million for the food preview! I hope I didn't stress you out on the treadmill! hahaha...
Now I yearn for a bowl of bak kut teh ahhh.. The one you had sounds so much delicious than the one I had.
Oh dear, oh dear, now let's see, where can I go to get nice bak kut teh for dinner tonight?? hmmm....
ilene,
Eat first. Losing weight can wait a little while!
No, you did not stress me on the treadmill. I did my usual this morning and enjoyed every minute of it.
最早的时候,我也是听说Klang那儿的肉骨茶是全马最好的。只是听到而已。还没有机会去品尝。你此碗是沙巴的吗?旁边的一小碗是小肠吧?我的最爱!
Yes, Zhang Zhu, in Sabah, or KK. Ha, ha, you like the intestines too?
沙巴最近可有牛奶果?泗里街几乎没有看到。前年去沙巴游玩,买了10公斤回来,吃得不亦乐乎!那儿得牛奶果很大粒又饱满。也是我的最爱!进口的除了贵外,也没那么香。写到这里时,又让我流口水了!你会在沙巴多久?多拍些好吃的食物给我们看看啊!
Not into BKT...but what's in the other bowl? Are those intestines? My! My! They are huge - like soaked eyew chia koay!
zhang zhu,
Have not seen these fruits around! Or may be I have not been to market at all!
Will try to find this Sunday.
suituapui,
It's quite unusual that you don't fancy BKT! Ya, the intestines and stomach are really nice! I think I would go back when Chris is here.
Post a Comment