Tuesday, May 19, 2009

For the love of dumplings

Strolling along the Sunday Market here, I was caught by the varieties of Chinese Dumplings (or Zhongzi) in a stall. The Pork Peanut! A good friend of mine, an Indonesian Chinese, just gave me some dumplings with port peanut mixed before I left Sibu. I remember I took one. It has been ages that I have not tasted Chinese dumplings! That was the sweet taste of friendship.

It is near to Duan Wu Jie - a festival of Zhongzi! I have lost count of the day without a calandar which also feature Chinese calendar, it's 5th of May in the calendar. Any help?

My mum used to wrap zhongzi with different fillings. We are a family of nine children. Eldest sister loves red bean filling. Eldest brother loves pork filling. And I love peanut with some minced meat. While other brothers and sisters do not have preference, they take whatever being served. So, mum, being that "loving" mum, would wrap varieties!

Missing mum while seeing such varieties on sale yesterday! No, I did not buy one. Mum's zhongzi could not be replaced! It's the taste of mother's love.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it hard to digest when taking the zhongzi these days...must be aging - digestive system has slowed down lol!

Ensurai said...

I love Zongzi...but I notice the specially laminated food labels...the vendor has style!!

Superman said...

I used to follow my grandma to wrap Zhongzi also. I will always remember the sweet moments. The Duan Wu Jie is on this 28 May 09. I like the pork with fat for the Zhongzi filling. Hakka Zhongzi is very big one, we call it pillow zhongzi.

Yan said...

James,

I used to have very bad gastric and can't take many food like glutinous rice, anything with yeast. Now, I am clear of that. So, it's the age. It's the healthy lifestyle :)

Yan said...

Sarawakiana,

Yes, the couple manning the stall have style! I think this Sunday I shall go and buy some to bring back to Sibu. Any order, Sibu friends? But, when I am back it would be over Duanwujie!

Yan said...

Superman,

Thank you for the information. so, I miss the Duanwujie as I shall only be back on 29th! In my young days, I have many Cantonese friends in Sarikei, I also like the pillow zhongzi wrapped by friends' mum!

ilene said...

haha Yan, whilst scrolling the blog, read about your dumpling story just as I'm having them!

Am eating 2 of those plain 'kan sway' that goes well with gula melaka and 1 nyonya chang. Shall blog about it later.

Jo said...

I love zhongzi very much and I've always wanted to try making it myself. I am sure I will get round to it. :)

suituapui said...

5th of May? You mean it had gone past and I did not even realise it? Oh dear!

suituapui said...

The 5th Day of the Chinese Lunar Calendar is Thurday next week - 28th of May. The way you put it, I was confused for a minute... LOL!!!