May is a month of colours in Sabah. It is the celebration of Ka'amatan Festival or Harvest Festival. The Ka'amatan Festival is a celebration of the harvesting that includes the Unduk Ngadau (Ka'amatan Beauty Queen Contest). The legendary story tells of Kinoingan sacrified his only begotten daughter, Huminodun, during the time when the fields of their staple food were barren. Kinoingan felt sorry for his people. He sacrified his daughter to appease the gods. That year, the people had a more plentiful harvest thane ver before and, to this day, the Kadazandusun people include beauty pageant as part of the Festival in paying tribute to the legendary Huminodum.
I was taking a walk in Wisma Merdeka and saw these colourful and beautiful people!
I was taking a walk in Wisma Merdeka and saw these colourful and beautiful people!
8 comments:
Yes you are indeed reminding us how much colour can add joy in our life!!
Sabahans are colourful and musical.
They are joyful and expressive.
It is good that you are taking in so much in your life!! God bless.
Nice photos. I think they start man events for the coming 30-31 May Kaamatan Festival already. Have not seen any in Sarawak yet.
Yan, thanks for the close up pics. Have always seen pictures of Sabahans from a distance but you've brought them nearer to me.
Sarawakiana,
Congratulations- just hopped over from James' blog!
Yes, we just have to add more colours to our life!
Superman,
Yes, it's a month-long celebration here! But, I shall miss the main celebrations as I would be back to Sibu on 30th and 31st May. Or I would not miss some of the events!
ilene,
You would probably be seeing for of Sabah colours in my blog now. So, check in often :)
so colourful indeed. gorgeous! :)
JoMel,
There are so many of those beauty contests here - really love their colours. But, then, we don't wear that way going to work or shopping, right? Ha, ha..
Post a Comment