This is taken from an older Danish novel called Borderliners, by Peter Hoeg:
“I did not say much, nor was it necessary. She sat on the box, leaning forward, and listened to me, even to my pauses. She heard everything, even things I did not say. We sat there and I knew this was how it felt to be totally accepted. You sit close to another person and are understood, everything is understood and nothing is judged and you are indispensable.”
I like that! Someone heard everything, even words not said. Someone listen, even to the pauses between words! Isn’t it wonderful?
But, in real world, it’s often not so. Words need to be said. Not only that, they need to be said loud and clear.
Rachel and Chris grew up in a “newspaper friendly” environment. They had access to newspapers, three locals and two nationals, English and Chinese.
I was always amazed by their knowledge of the different promotions and marketing campaigns of different consumer goods during our weekly trips to the supermarket. When asked, they said at the same time – mummy only read newspapers, newspapers don’t talk. These products are said in the television. Cool words are used to describe them. When these brands are sponsored by the online games we play, there are sounds too.
Yes, my children knew all these products better than the titles of the newspapers that entered our house each morning. The newspapers have been there, day in, day out, ever since there were born.
But that has not discouraged me to continue my works in the print media. I have faith that, somewhere, somehow, sometimes, words not said are heard! Even in the process of using the newspapers to wrap up rubbish, some messages are carried through. The same friend actually also wrote in his facebook on the same day this message from the newspaper - Don't text and drive.
Philip Yancey, in his book, “What’s so amazing about grace”, wrote, “As a writer, I play with words all day long. I toy with them, listen for their overtones, crack them open, and try to stuff my thoughts inside.”
Listen. Yes, he says he listens for the overtones of words. He stuff his thoughts inside. The words become his thoughts. His thoughts, his words. His words come alive!
5 comments:
When I'm using old papers to wrap things or as a lining for stuff, my eyes inadvertently skims through the headings, subheadings, and even the ads. And Dan who is more keen reading the papers than the other two always pick things up like how Rachel and Chris used to. He will tell me that there's a sale here, a contest there, a new edition of monopoly in the shops, etc etc. haha..
Newspapers are definitely a useful source of info, but with the internet, many are now getting their news there. I have friends who have gone completely on-line for news ... but some how, I still prefer the "hold-in the hand" newspaper.
i hope newspapers won't ever go extinct, the online version just can't beat the "personal" feel of papers, books, and mags, and you keep doing the great job you're doing in journalism!
and happy belated birthday to you, Yan, i remembered your 7-11 special day altho when the day rolled around my hands were full and here's actually my first chance at leaving a comment on a blog! i'm still following yours on my reader whenever i can steal the time.
u have a great week now!
Newspaper is my daily meal since I can read properly. It is good for the teachers to use newspaper in their teaching tools in classrooms as it might create interest in students to read newspaper. Nowadays kids doesn't read newspaper anymore. Sad to tell.
JoMel, SAHM, SUperman, Boon Ping, thank you so much for the "support".
It sure lifts up my spirit much these few days!
Post a Comment