Sunday, November 22, 2009

My Sunday's Laksa

My friend, Dunstan Chan wrote in his column in The Borneo Post today on Laksa, Kolok Mee or Mee Kolok, I quote randomly -

Food is more than a meal. It is a fragment of our home. Laksa and Kolok Mee are to Sarawak what Apple Pie is to the Americans or Fish and Chips to the English.

However, Laksa and Kolok Mee carry a deeper meaning. They are apt metaphors for the harmony of Sarawak multi-racial society. Laksa is a manifestation of that cliche so popular with Sarawakian politicians, "unity in diversity". The various ingredietns are representative of the different racial groups in our State. They are all united to form a beautiful dish.


On the other hand, Kolok Mee is a story of acceptance and integration. With its lard and roast pork, it is a truly Chinese dish. However, such is its popularity that it transcends cultural and racial boundaries. There is now a halal version of Mee Kolok served with chicken or beef.

So when we take a bowl of Laksa, Kolok Mee or Mee Kolok we are not just eating a tasty meal, we are making an affirmation of our belief in Sarawak society.


For me, I know I am home only when I sit in my favourite coffee shop savouring bowl of Laksa or Kolok Mee.


Yes, I just discovered within walking distance a stall manned by a Foochow from Sibu selling Kampua, Laksa, Diam Pian Hu and Bian Sip!


This is my breakfast after a walk down the Gaya Street - very much at home. This is my second time dropping by. The first time, the man asked, (in Foochow of course) "Taste ok?" I said, "Yes, very Sibu, probably a little too sweet for me." And today, the sweetness reduced! The man said, "I reduce the sweetness." How important and homely I feel!

That's my Sunday! How's yours?

2 comments:

Ensurai said...

Dunstan Chan has great perceptions. Love the quotes you made. He definitely inspires me to go to a higher level of writing.

And the Foochow man is such a lovely customer oriented kampuapreneur!! He can recognize you - after one visit...I wish I have that kind of memory...less sugar hahahaha...

And finally - I would definitely agree that I am home when I eat my bowl of kampua or tian pian hu in Sibu.
Great post....

CH Voon said...

i like eat laksa and kolo mee very much... yummy!