Thursday, November 12, 2009

When you live by numbers

Yesterday evening, I was taking a "stroll" among the street where my office is located. Along the street because it was drizzling, I had meant to go to the waterfront for a walk before my night duty began.

Along the street, there is a shop selling "numbers". As usual, the queue stretched to the walkway. Two of my young sweet journalists were also there. Later, one said, "Boss, this is the first time I buy a number."

Do you live by "numbers"?

Many years ago, I noted this news in my blog and it still saddened me today:

SHE was among the hundreds of Singaporeans who showed up at (name)’s funeral last week.

The housewife, who wanted to be known only as Mrs Tan, openly confessed to The New Paper on Sunday that she was hoping to strike 4-D after attending the funeral.

From the deceased's age to the number of people who carried her coffin to the number plate of the vehicle that ferried her coffin, Mrs Tan kept a lookout for numbers at the funeral.

‘When I read about how some people struck 4-D after they attended (another deceased)’s funeral, I was very envious. So this time I made an effort to go to (name of deceased)’s funeral,’ said the 55-year-old housewife in Mandarin.

‘People won’t talk openly about the numbers that they’ve spotted. You need to look around discreetly and you will know that there are numbers everywhere.

‘You can get your inspiration from counting the number of wreaths and blankets at the funeral.’

Doesn’t she feel bad about trying to strike it rich from someone’s death?

Her answer is NO!

Yes, when you live by numbers, you see numbers everywhere. You treat others as numbers, and you also treat yourself as numbers. You have forgotten that you come this world to love and be loved!

How wonderful it is to think that we have all been created for a purpose!
We have not come into the world to be a number;
we have been created for a purpose, for great things:
To love and be loved. – Mother Teresa

15 comments:

Superman said...

I guess we can't be separated with numbers in our live. It is everywhere!
I don't buy numbers and I only work for numbers in my bank account. Haha. Never think I will have luck to strike 4D or whatever numbers. So, save the money for other things.

Jo said...

This is a very Cantonese thing, looking for numbers everywhere and anywhere, in the hope of striking it rich in the lottery!

湘绣蜻蜓 said...

To attend a funeral to get numbers, this is terrible!!

doc said...

another hotbed of numbers activity is at motor vehicle accidents. the more people killed, the more "powerful" the number plate of the cars!!

is this what they mean by, you live by numbers, you die by numbers?

Ensurai said...

I like
women who spend xxxx amount of time to make cakes for the poor
women who spend xxxx of time making quilts for the orphans
women who spend xxxxx oftime to teach their children to respect others.
women who walk xxxxx miles to send hot food to their children.
women who spend xxx of time to cheer their elders up....

I would like one day for a group of women and I to make the longest xxxx miles of sausage one day to raise funds to buy wheel chairs for the needed!!!

Constance Chan said...

gosh, if i were to buy every number that comes to mind, i think i will go bankrupt in a month...lol maybe for 'main main' with a friend but even if i do buy 'any' numbers, i don't even bother to check!! guffawwww

anyway, just want to drop by to say 'hello' after a long silence from bloghopping..

Yan said...

Supermann,

You are one wise young man! But don't work too hard for the numbers in bank that you forget the other values in life!

Yan said...

JoMel,

Not only Cantonese leh. In my foochow Sibu town, many are looking for numbers too. Being in the press, we used to receive calls like - what's the plate number of the vehicles involved in accident!

In an accident, the jam is always caused by the people wanting to take the car numbers, survey shows!

Yan said...

湘绣蜻蜓

Welcome back the blogger world! Have "patronized" your home, not for a number, he..he...

Yan said...

doc,

Yes, the "numbered" can think of all numbers from an accident that are beyond our imagination!

Yan said...

sarawakiana,

What's the cost of one wheelchair? Pardon my ignorance - mind to tell me? Oh yes, the number or figure not to use for that purpose lah!

Yan said...

Constance,

Welcome to my home - no number though!

suituapui said...

LOL!!! Just bought a bit hoping to pay for my travelling expenses to Sg Petani to help my daughter move her things home...but no luck! SIGH!!! Have not bought for years and years now... I believe if we need money, we have to work for it...

Yan said...

STP, great father! We actually do not need that extra luck when we are so blessed! Have a good trip. It shall still be two months when Rach shall be back - just right before Chinese New Year!

Ensurai said...

Yan
The cheapest wheelchairs are around RM300.00. The most expensive I have "looked at" - Bru 4999.99
Cheers.