I do not know what's in store for this trip to Korea on 28th November. I was planning a Shanghai trip, but Chris shouted, "Korea, Korea!" That was before his report card day! So, it's not a "reward", it's more for making up what both of us have lost during the past six months when I am here in Sabah. His result? Position 39 in a class of 44 with an average of 83 and he is in Form Two. Competitive indeed! Last term he was the second counting from the last :) - that was what I heard from my MIL. Actually Chris told me he was the last! When the concerned MIL told me this way while I was at home on my cross-trainer, "Do you know that he is the second last?" I answered, "Oh yes? I thought he was the last." So, talking about putting mother in a report card, I would be in the last position ;)
One thing I am sure, I shall enjoy the food -

And the year will round up with this sponsored adventure in Sandakan (don't envy, I also write travel stories now) -
12 comments:
actually it doesn't really matter what the position in class is - as long as he has put in an honest day's work & let the Lord lead.
have a happy time bonding with the family!
83 as an average is excellent.
Position is not important.
Have a good holiday . When he grows older you may not have much time with him alone....Honestly I miss the good holidays with my son too much...now that he is 22. (sob sob)..
I wish my son is forever 14.
doc,
I was leading a group of girls in the Girls' Brigade in Sibu in their bible study and achievement projects (while in Sibu) who are all Chris' classmates. Some of the girls were very tensed during the exam time. One Saturday afternoon, I told them that there got to be someone who would be the last in the classroom, they should relax.
All the girls asked, "So it is ok for Chris to be the last, Madam?" I told them, "Yes." I really meant it.
So, it's really not an issue here!
sarawakiana,
You know the kind of competition in your old school! The highest average is 93. I told Chris - not too bad, you are just some 10 marks behind the best student in your form in every subject :)
Ya, Korea is more for Chris. I would prefer China!
Yan, you are a very understanding mother. One of the very rare ones! These days, all parents, mothers in particular, are comparing their children's position with one another. *sad*
I'm sure Chris is counting the days to Korea! Shiok! Time spent with family is priceless and most treasured. Remember, upon your return, post all the photos and tell us about the trip.
ilene,
I learnt it over the years, I was actually a difficult new mother. After many trials and errors (poor Rachel), I learnt many things the hard way. I am glad God sees me through and through. I read about your account of your daughter's pursue of a course she has aspired - and think you are a very very wise mother!
You see, through the blogsphere, we also shared and learnt in parenting! He..he.. How wonderful is technology!
Sure will write about the trip!
Yan, what you said to Chris - so True!! he is only just a few points behind the highest ranked students! over 80% makes him an A student still, so he deserves Korea as his reward. :)
Incidentally, I was at Kelly's school today to attend the prize-giving ceremony for all the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd achievers from each class. I didn't want to go but Kelly cried and that just left me no choice but to go. Hehe..
Anyway, there's this student who was ranked no. 4 in the whole of the standard 1, i.e. 4 out of 400+ students. Kelly and this girl go to the same tuition centre (diff class), and found out that her mum gives her Standard 5 and 6 workbooks to practice on. I was observing her earlier. When she descended from the stage with her trophy, she walked towards her mum and stretched out the hand that's holding the trophy, and gave it to her mum. She wasn't even smiling. Compare this with Kelly who collected her prize and skipped towards me to have her photo taken while she posed with it, and returned to her seat, tightly hanging onto her trophy.
That's the difference when a child feels a sense of accomplishment through her own initiative and effort, and one who's forced and programmed like a robot! So sad right??
Good for Chris. Are you finishing up in Sabah soon? Anyway have a great holiday with the family :)
JoMel,
My friend (much older friend) told me his story. He had wanted his son to do medicine. His son had no interest, but he insisted. Upon graduation, the son gave him the certificate and said, "Now this is what you want and I am giving it to you, now I am going to do what I want to do." He was able to tell me the story in a lighter manner because he made it up with the son, and the son excels in other fields! But, that's a good lesson for us to learn!
dobbs,
Good question! But I have a "bad" news to tell you - I have just been extended to stay here for another six months. It's supposed to end this month! I might as well retire here. He..he..
Oh dear, another six months? You will definitely be missed at home, but I am sure you are doing such a good job in Sabah that they don't seem to want to let you go ;)
Post a Comment