Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Here come the king and the queen!

Is it the durian season now? I saw quite a few stalls with this king of the fruits. It would be a delight to see JoMel had them counted to five, and said, "Open this, this, this, this and that!" But, this is Gaya Street!

My late father was a durian-lover. Or rather, he loved buying durians. In my house, durians came in "sacks". Dad would open the durians and all the children would sit around and had their heart content. Later, dad passed away. My second brother took over dad's durian job. When did I stop taking durians? After I got married. In my husband's home, eating durians is a totally different story. Dad-in-law would ask the domestic helper to open one and put on the dining table and each would take one or two pieces. That was really unsatisfying. I stopped taking durian some 20 years ago and was obsessed by this - It has a spiky-football-shape and sure dangerous to touch, its high sugar content is too sweet for health.




I have never grown to like this high-tech building, the Esplanade 4, said to be inspired by the infamous fruit.





Here come the queen! I don't particularly like this fruit too. But here's a quote on the queen -

”Imagine the best peach you've ever eaten, combined with a touch of passion fruit, a sliver of nectarine and a nip of lychee. Imagine a concord grape's sweet purple essence giving way to the clean leanness of a Granny Smith. Add a squeeze of lime, and a spoon of buttery brown sugar. Stir.” - Jarrett Wrisley

6 comments:

stay-at-home mum said...

oooh! The king and queen are two of my favourite fruits!! Can have them for breakfast lunch and dinner. BUT they are fattening, so trying to eat less of them.

every family has their own peculair of eating them. we like to sit around the sackful and help ourselves. I have friends who eat it with a spoon! Yuck! Part of the fun is getting to lick the fingers!!

Jo said...

hahaha!! thank you for reminding me of this this this and THAT! hahaha..

I love both king and queen very much! And like SAHM, I go crazy with them. :)

Yan said...

SAHM,

My husband's family (my family also lah) eat durians using spoons! That stopped me from eating durians!

Yan said...

JoMel,

You like the queen of the fruits also! Very "kiasu" leh - must have both the king and the queen!

Ensurai said...

When I can get hold of durians at lower prices I make tempuyak...this will enable me to have marvellous durian related dishes throughout the next year!!

Yan said...

Sarawakiana,

My MIL deep-freeze the durians and she had it all year round - using spoon! Ha, ha!