Thursday, July 16, 2009

What's in Carlsberg

It was a simple yet merry lunch with Carlsberg Malaysia. The Managing Director Soren Holm Jensen told us the story of Carlsberg when I asked what's in the name of "Carlsberg". Over a glass of Carlsberg Gold, the story was told ...

In 1847, a small hill town overlooking Copenhagan, Captain J.C. Jacobsen launched Denmark's first lager beer, Carlsberg. The beer was named after Jaconson's son, "Carl" and the "berg" meaning "on a hill".

It became an extremely profitable business.

J.C. Jacobson later introduced the idea of using personal wealth for public philanthropy. However, the reason for doing so was not merely benevolent charity, but an outcome of a conflict with his only son, Carl.

Instead of letting Carl be the heir of his fortune, he created Carlsberg Foundation and made it the principle heir. The foundation was to promote an awareness of history and an appreciation of beauty.

Carl founded and achieved economic independence with his own brewery, the Ny (new) Carlsberg Brewery.

The rilvary between father and son was not only linked to brewing beer, but was extended to their respective act of philanthropy. While the father believed in the educational important of history, Carl believed in the refining capacities of art.

The two businesses were merged later. Today, the decendents of Jacobson's family do not own signficant shares in the Carlsberg business. Carl also willed his Ny Carlsberg Brewery to a foundation.

So, that's Carlsberg!

And a toast to all my friends from Carlsberg and yours truly!

8 comments:

Jo said...

oh.. family disputes brewing within the breweries! This is so interesting to read Yan. Thank you.

Superman said...

I haven't got the chance to try Carlsberg Gold yet. Drank Carlsberg last week in Bintulu where you can get really cheap beer. Nice and cooling.

Anonymous said...

Wah...didn't know you can drink....
hahaha!

Yan said...

JoMel,

That's my job - telling stories! Oops! reporting! Most of time I feel so "small" when people I meet seems to know everything!

Yan said...

superman,

It's smooth, it's rich, it's something better than the usual Carlsberg! I still have six cans in my apartment courtesy of Carlsberg!

Yan said...

James,

Just one small glass! And for socializing only! Carlsberg Gold tastes much much better than other beer.

suituapui said...

I wonder if I can drink that! Just one mug of Tiger and I will come down with gout and will not be able to walk for a week!!! Those supposedly taboo food's ok for me though...

Yan said...

suituapui,

Then, better don't drink. It's not something that you should not miss! So, you lose nothing!