Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Embracing Inperfection

My mother-in-law forwarded this to me yesterday through email. Thought it's a good lesson to learn. Sharing with you.
(The sandwich beside is not too bad.)

This is a story told by a girl -

When I was a little girl, my mom liked to make breakfast food for dinner every now and then.

I remember one night in particular when she had made breakfast after a long, hard day at work. On that evening so long ago, my mom placed a plate of eggs, sausage, and extremely burned toast in front of my dad. I remember waiting to see if anyone noticed! Yet all my dad did was reach for his toast, smile at my mom, and ask me how my day was at school. I don't remember what I told him that night, but I do remember Watching him smear butter and jelly on that toast and eat every bite!

When I got Up from the table that evening, I remember hearing my mom apologize to my dad For burning the toast.

And I'll never forget what he said: 'Baby, I love burned toast.'

Later that night, I went to kiss Daddy good night and I asked him if He really liked his toast burned. He wrapped me in his arms and said, 'Debbie, your Momma put in a hard day at work today and she's real tired. And besides -a little burnt toast never hurt anyone!' You know, life
is full of imperfect things.....and imperfect people. I'm not the best housekeeper or cook.'

What I've learned over the years is that learning to accept each other's faults - and choosing to celebrate each other's differences - is the one of the most important keys to creating a healthy, growing, and lasting relationship.

And that's my prayer for you today. That you will learn to take the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of your life and lay them at the feet of GOD. Because in the end, He's the only One who will be able to give you a relationship where burnt toast isn't a deal-breaker! We could extend this to any relationship in fact - as understanding is the base of any relationship, be it a husband-wife or parent-child or friendship!! "

"Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket but into your own."

See through God's eyes and feel through God's heart And you will appreciate the value of every soul including yourself.

20 comments:

bp said...

Yan, i miss u, i miss our conversations and your sharing, too! and thank you for this one, esp at this time when things can get really crazy and harder to bear! u have a great week now, my friend, be trying catch up on how you're doing as and when i can! how's your eye doing now? i caught that on the reader awhile ago but didn't manage to leave a comment. u r always in my thots, n praying with u for your wellbeing n your family, too.

stay-at-home mum said...

Thats is a very good reminder for all of us. Thanks for sharing it. And your MIL is really tech savvy, huh? Can send you email some more. Now to teach my MIL!!

Anonymous said...

Good story! Relationships can only pass the test of time if we can see through our imprefections. As the Chinese say, "Close one eye...!" It's all about giving and taking.

ilene said...

Yan, I too received that in the email and was thinking of posting it too! Thanks for the post.

That's why I don't cook! That way, my husband won't have the chance of looking and commenting at my imperfect meal! hahahahaha...:lol:

P/s: Not bad your m-i-l!!

Ensurai said...

That's a lovely story for every one in the family. Tactfulness and appreciation go a long long way....into the future generations in fact...

Great MIL!!

All blessings to you and your loved ones.

doc said...

heartwarming & humbling - that's how i felt about this story. & your relationship with your MIL is something else - very rare these days!

Jo said...

"Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket but into your own."

This is the cold hard truth that many of us are forced to face in the course of our journey in this path called life. :)

iml said...

A timely reminder to me. When I am critical of others, I forget, I too am imperfect and being accepted.

Unknown said...

I like it when you said, embracing imperfection, and not tolerating imperfection.

we should embrace our differences and accepting our diversity.

thank you,

Yan said...

bp,

Thank you for dropping by to update. Eye vision improving after the second option treatment. But it could never reverse back to original. I am "training" every morning reading a Bible passage using the affected eye only. I ask God for strength to walk through this journey. Not much of worry eroding into my life. I always muse with my friends - I pay the doctor to worry for me!

You take care.

Yan said...

SAHM,

My MIL is a modern woman. 76, still in the trend and learning! She went to computer classes some years back. We are all too busy to "teach" her! He...he..

Yan said...

suituapui,

Close one eye? God has surely His plan in taking away some of my left eye's vision then. So that I don't can see the camel in my own soup!

Yan said...

ilene,

My MIL is one lady who always gives compliments - whether it's a new dress, a new dish I cook, or even a new hair style. I am still learning!

Yan said...

Sarawakiana,

MIL is one career woman and leading many women organizations - probably, that broadens much of her outlook.

Blessings to you and yours too.

Yan said...

doc,

MIL's father was a pastor of Methodist Church. She grew up with the early missionaries. She speaks perfect American English, perfect Mandarin, and more than workable Malay and Iban! I could never live up to that!

And a leader in many church women organizations and charitable organizations.

That makes our relationship less "stressed" probably?

She enjoys surfing internet and forwarding mails to all her children!

Yan said...

JoMel,

My vision is now not so good - so I seem to see past the little imperfections of those around me, and also, I am not too demanding on myself too!

That's a blessing too!

Yan said...

eugene,

Is that 1Malaysia? What's 1Malaysia to you?

Can we have
Shared Vision
Shared power
Shared life

Can we really be one in the bond of love?

It really takes Jesus' love for that vision of 1Malaysia!

Bengbeng said...

A touching story and something to measure ourselves by. How does one live one's life if one is unable to tolerate imperfection?

I knew a guy once like that. He was king of the dung hill. When his tenure was over, he ceased to exist on he hill was politely ignored and presense never acknowledged.

To live is to survive in a social world. An ability to make room for others and their lives. people ignore that at their own peril

Superman said...

thanks for sharing the nice story. Sometimes we are just too picky and can hurt others feeling. This story give me a really good thoughts.

Jem G. said...

"Debbie, your Momma put in a hard day at work today and she's real tired. And besides -a little burnt toast never hurt anyone!' You know, life
is full of imperfect things.....and imperfect people. I'm not the best housekeeper or cook.'"


""Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket but into your own.""


Hi Yan,

How are you?

its been a long time i havent read your blog due to my hectic schedules :)

I have quoted above some lines which i really love and i am excited yo share this to my friends and loved one :)

take care and enjoy inspiring people :)

God Bless

* jemjem