Friday, July 24, 2009

Don't forget to remember

I picked up this book, "The Housekeeper and the Professor" on Wednesday while browsing through MPH literary fiction section. I wanted a light reading soon after an eye review that my eye sight is improving. Yet I do not wish to dwell on romance. Not that day!

It's a book about a mathematics professor, his housekeeper and her ten year old son. After an accident, the professor only has 80 minutes of short term memory. It means, every morning, the housekeeper has to re-introduce herself to the professor before she can go into his house.

It is just a simple experience of getting to know someone, but with a twist: the person forgets everything in 80 minutes. How do you form a relationship with a person who cannot remember?

And I asked, after finishing the story - a little stressful on my eye - Are our immediate experiences more important than our memories?

There are many numbers in the book. I was never a "Maths" person in school. Maths made no sense to me when I was sitting in the class with the Math teacher! Most of the times, I was day-dreaming. I have longer memories - I seldom passed a Maths test!

Here is just a co-incidence on the numbers - 18 and 14 from the book. If you are a Malaysian, you would be very sensitive to the number 14, or the 14th floor -

“I tried picturing 18 and 14, but now that I’d heard the Professor’s explanation, they were no longer simply numbers. Eighteen secretly carried a heavy burden, while 14 fell mute on the face of its terrible lack.”

Strangely, Math is a sensual experience the way the author has presented in the book!

If you love cooking, or if you love making dumplings, you would probably be delighted to know that making dumplings could be peaceful, read this -

“…and if I were making dumplings, he would look on with something approaching wonder. I would take a dumpling skin in the palm of my hand, spoon on a bit of filling, and then pinch up the edges before setting it on the platter. A simple process, but he was completely absorbed by it, watching me until the last dumpling had been stuffed….

When I was done at last and the dumplings were neatly arranged on the plate, he would fold his hands on the table and nod solemnly. “How peaceful…”

And the book talks about children and friends -

“He treated Root (Root is the Housekeeper's son whose head is flat, the Professor called him Root as it's like the square root in Maths) exactly as he treated prime numbers. For him, primes were the base on which all other natural numbers relied; and children were the foundation of everything worthwhile in the adult world.

I still take out that note sometimes and study it. On sleepless nights, or lonely evenings, when tears come to my eyes thinking about friends who are no longer here. I bow my head in gratitude for that one line.”

And I think, if my Maths teacher taught Maths like how this Professor did, I would be a lot smarter!

8 comments:

ilene said...

Oh Yan, I HAD to make good at Maths otherwise the duster and chalk would come flying! In way, I had the duster and chalk to thank to I suppose! haha

Anonymous said...

Glad yr eyesight is getting better! :)

Jo said...

Hey, I believe you are alot smarter than you give yourself credit for. Perhaps not in Maths, but in Literature? In writing, most definitely. :)

The professor with the very short term memory is reminiscent of the movie "50 First Dates", where the actress Drew Barrymore, only remembered the past, and anything that happened after that she forgets every single morning when she wakes up. So the man who was trying to pursue her, Adam Sandler, had to start all over every morning in introducing himself, and relating to her how their relationship has progressed, etc etc. Oh.. such a torture!

suituapui said...

I had an uncle who had since passed away. His LTM (long term memory) was good, could remember everything from long ago...but his STM was "no longer in service". You could give him medicine and ask him a minute later, he would tell you he had not taken his medicine yet. Went to see the doctor and when you asked him what the doctor said, he could not recall going to the doctor at all...

I've heard it said that we must keep ourselves mentally active so that we will not become like that. "Use it, or lose it!"

P.S. I almost failed Maths - got an 8 (Senior Cambridge), lucky didn't get F9! LOL!!!

Yan said...

ilene,

My maths teacher is a "good" man - he did not care much, whether you learnt or not! Or rather, I was just too naughty and was not serious to learn. Good of you to have a fierce teacher!

Yan said...

James,

Yes, I prayed - as I shared with you over the phone!

Prayer always works.

thank you for remembering me in your prayers!

Yan said...

JoMel,

I am terrible with "numbers", including managing my finances! I am just a "wordsmith" probably.

Get hold of that book and read - it makes knowing a person all over again every day so beautiful and heartwarming!

Yan said...

suituapui,

Blogging keeps our minds active - I guess! But it definitely keeps our hearts young!