Saturday, July 11, 2009

BK's thoughts

Have you ever lost someone you love and wanted one more conversation,
one more chance to make up for the time when you thought they would be here forever?

- For One More Day, Mitch Albom

Two nights ago, before I ended for the day in the busy news room, JoMel posted this "I would like to buy hamburger. I was sort of tempted by the picture. And I really did take a walk down to a BK restaurant which is only less than 5-minutes walk from my workplace.

Just before I crossed the road, it started to rain. So, I called it a day.

I was determined today that I would like to buy hamburger for lunch. I needed to drop by a photo shop first to view the album that I am going to make (this will be another story, another time). As I was about to leave the photo shop, it rained again. I needed to cross two streets to get to BK.

Call it another day? No, I waited for about 5 minutes, and the rain stopped. There, I have BK - the Grilled Chicken at RM7.25 for lunch.

As I waited for BK to be prepared and take away, I remembered another BK's story of my mother and I that I posted some time back -

One night, I craved for a burger. I was then in my early stage of pregnancy. My mother and I walked down the Paterson Tower into Orchard Road where we had a Burger King, to my heart’s content. Returning to our apartment, I started bleeding and subsequently admitted to hospital for 99 days.

On this Sunday morn, I alighted at Paterson Tower. From Paterson Tower, I took a walk down to Orchard Road. Alone. My mother is now with the Lord. Entering into the busy Orchard Road, I felt lonely. I passed by Burger King. I did not stop. I did not crave for a burger.

I just wanted to have one more Paterson walk.

Later, I related the Paterson Walk to a good friend, he said,

Your mum is always with you.
Like Christ she has never left you.
She’s home with Him and watching over you.

Indeed, my mum is always with me. She is.

As I walked from BK back to my apartment today, it was still drizzling, I felt my mother walking along side with me. Whether it’s a Paterson Walk, a Rejang River Cruise, a SGH Ward and even today's BK walk in the rain … my mum is always there.

7 comments:

Jo said...

So poignant, so moving, so inspirational. You made me teary-eyed on this Saturday afternoon.

You are a part of your mum, as much as she is a part of you. She will be with you always, and you with her. Just like your friend has said, "she is".

So, you got caught in a drizzle. You should take a panadol, just in case.

And did you enjoy the burger? I hope you did. :) *big warm hugs*

suituapui said...

The ones so much loved never leave...they're always there with you...in your hearts.
Chicken? My girl prefers swiss cheese mushroom... As for me, I'm not really into burgers...

Superman said...

I agreed with suituapui as the ones loved never leave us. always be with us in our mind. You must have missed your mum a lot.
I prefer double whopper with cheese! I missed Burger King. Still remember the days when I have double whopper in Hungry Jack (they call Burger King Hungry Jack in Australia) for breakfast after a overnight study and rushing for assignment in Uni. Can get BK in Sibu...sigh.

Yan said...

JoMel,

Besides the eye sight, generally, I won't catch a flu these days. :) Going on strong I guess with healthier lifestyle!

Thanks. Mum is so dear to me. I thank God for the infertility treatments in Singapore during my early years of marriage that had allowed me to spend a lot of quality time with mum! I treasured those years in Singapore with mum.

Sorry, JoMel, for causing you some tears!

Keep well.

Yan said...

suituapui,

We (meaning my family) do not fancy beef much. So, it's always chicken, chicken, chicken! That leads to another story of my mum. When I was expecting Chris, we were in Singapore. Rachel loved the chicken nuggets of MacDonald. Mum being the thrifty one thought it was expensive. So, one day, she bought some chicken fillet, coated with flour and seasoning and fried them. Rachel, being that grumpy eater, said, "Ma ma, that's not MacDonald! I don't want." Poor grandma had to finish the huge portion of nuggets for the next few days! Those were the memories I treasure.

Yan said...

superman,

My son also loves BK and even a packed one from KL would make his eyes sparkle! Probably, it's because BK is not in Sibu, just like the Famous Amos has not landed there too!

Anonymous said...

Only those experiencing closeness with mum will find your words very touching and at times, we will ask ourselves were we in depression or not? rite?

However, life just have to go on...

God bless you always..