Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Their story is over


Yesterday. In KL. After the business meeting, I went to a movie!

The movie, State of Play. Probably because I like Russell Crowe. Or I just love newspaper themed movies. Very "professional" even at leisure!

But, believe me, I had not been to a cinema for ages. I have lost count of how many years! I enjoyed every second of the movie - it thrilled me!

I am not writing a review. My good friend, Desi, who was once a journalist, "threatened" me that I should not write a review before he watched it!

But I do note some interesting points between traditional journalists and bloggers! Ever been to a newsroom? Can you imagine how the desk or working space of the journalists is like? Crowded, untidy, busy, piles of documents and newspaper laying around and some stacked up almost to their neck. Yet, the journalists are able to pick up what they want almost immediately. And their computers are all at least a decade old. It's good for typing stories only!

In the movie, there is a blogger or journalist doing online reporting. Her computer is modern. Her office is clean and neat.

The traditional journalist (for print media), Cal and the blogger are leery of each other. But they are fated to work together to probe into the suspicious death of a Congressman's mistress. . The story they report ends up in print — before it makes it online. I love it when the blogger said, ”When people read this story, they should have newsprint on their hands.”

Giving me some thoughts is also this statement by the lady boss. She says, “Good reporters don’t have friends, only sources.”

When asked, “Am I talking to my friend now, or am I talking to a reporter?” Cal equivocates, saying “I’ve got to be both.”

And yet another time a lady comes to his house hoping to rekindle a relationship with him, Cal turns her down but asks her q question prompted by his reporting. Anne tells Cal what he needs, and goes on, “Now I’m just a source, so the pressure’s off.”

The movie wisely concludes with Cal and Della walking out of a darkening office, heading nowhere in particular. Their story is over, and there’s nothing left for them to do but go home.

And the story goes on print - rolling out of the magnificent newspaper machine!

8 comments:

Jo said...

that sounds like an apt movie for you to watch! You definitely made good use of your time here and I'm glad all went well. ;)

stay-at-home mum said...

Work related movie? So was it work or rest? Whatever!! Just as long as you enjoyed it!!

PS - maybe I can go work in your office, my table's a mess, but I can pick out what I want when I want it - organised mess!!

Ensurai said...

Glad you went to a movie to get uplifted.
When are you back in KK?

Yan said...

JoMel,

Now I remember the last time I went to cinema was when the family was in KL staying in the same hotel. Harry Potter was just on. They bought me a ticket, and I? slept through the movie!

Ha, ha, that's called professional hazard!

Yan said...

SAHM,

Mine is not so much of a mess, because I am both a traditional journalist and a blogger - so, it's in-between! He, he..

Yan said...

Sarawakiana,

Back right that evening with a plane loaded with Koreans! That flight is on transit in KK!

Bengbeng said...

Yan, this is not yr usual style of writing. I like this style. Good piece.

Bengbeng said...

Mayb it is the header, or background color, :) More energy, neater, less cluttered writing