Sunday, July 26, 2009

Growing in Grace


Colours to my life - thank you for adding that!

I read a very interesting piece on marriage relationship recently. It goes back to the making of the woman by God. One of the points I have noted is - during the process of making of woman, the man was put in a deep sleep! The writer said this, I quote -

There is the revelation that man was caused to fall into a deep sleep and during this period of unconsciousness woman was made. These things are reported to us not only because they actually happened but because they also are suggestive of certain continuing relationships that obtain. This period of unconsciousness strongly suggests what modern psychology also confirms -- that the relationships of marriage, the ties between a man and his wife, are far deeper than mere surface affection. They go much more deeply. They are a part, not only of the conscious life of man, but of the unconscious, the subconscious.

This explains what any marriage counselor soon recognizes: why it is that men and women are so puzzled by one another's reactions at times. They know that they themselves are often upset or angry or hurt at something the other one has done, but they can't put their finger on the reason. It is, of course, because the other person has violated a basic drive which God himself has built into the feminine or masculine nature and which are thus rooted in the basic nature of each individual. Though we cannot put our finger on what it is that is bothering us, we know there is something wrong. This is why in First Peter the Scriptures exhort the man to dwell with his wife "according to knowledge" (1 Peter 3:7 KJV). The responsibility of the man in marriage is to understand what the Scriptures teach about women, and to help his wife to understand herself as well as to understand him. She will have a much easier task understanding him than she does herself.

I may not be very qualified to give a talk on marriage on our 23rd anniversary - I hope to do so as we grow in grace together!

We had an early "celebration" in Kuala Lumpur because I won't be travelling back today. By chance, we met there, both on our business trips.

We had this simple dinner at Secret Recipe - the woman suggested. I had this lamb stew, while he ordered a grilled chicken -

Now, when the woman suggested only a simple dinner, don't fall asleep! There is something else to ask from the man! What's it? The woman got the man to sign a cheque to buy this -


Thank you, for adding more colours and wonders in my life!

22 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

Happy Anniversary to you, Yan.. may your life be filled with happiness and good health...

thanks for coming by my blog, i appreciate that very much ... do keep in touch.... thanks..

suituapui said...

Your anniversary? Gee! Happy Anniversary to you and Philip!!! Oooo....I love that Irish lamb stew at Secret Recipe! Yum! Yum!

Ensurai said...

Have you seen "Fiddler on the Roof"? An old fashioned husband and wife relationship.
But I will always remember what one teacher told me a long time ago:
"God is his wisdom gave men and women failing eye sight and toothlessness when they are old and spent...they cannot see each other's shapes so well or bite each other. Then with failing memory (ST) they remember their old times together (LTM). This is all that matters and God has already planned ahead for us....He is provident. His Grace is sufficient...
Happy Anniversary.....

Bengbeng said...

Happy anniversary Yan

Yan said...

claire,

Thank you for coming by too! Have read much of you in STP's, and seem like knowing you for a long time through the comments!

Will visit your cyberhome more often!

Yan said...

suituapui,

Ya, the lamb stew of SR is really nice. I have been "thinking" of that after reading superman's! I know I would definitely have another of it in KK's SR soon!

Yan said...

sarawakiana,

No have not seen that. Will make it a point to watch one day!

No teeth to bite - oh dear, I still have plenty!

Not good eye sight - now, now, I have now less than perfect eye sight. Well, it's like - close one eye! That's a blessing too!

Thanks for the wishes!

Yan said...

Bengbeng,

Thank you for the good wishes!

ilene said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY Yan! ... and many more to come!

Anonymous said...

Wah, you have your hands on the 50D already? :)

Yan said...

Ilene,

Thank you. Counting His blessings. And feel that everyday is a bonus!

It was actually a sad day for Malaysians when we woke up yesterday that only one and only Yasmin passed on!

I wss doing a tribute to her and read into much her works. She will be remembered for her quality works. But each festive season we will miss her TV commercials carrying messages of love!

Yan said...

James

No yet - akan datang.

Will have to learn from you - free lessons?

dobbs said...

Belated Anniversary wishes Yan. So glad you were able to celebrate the occasion in KL. Nice camera ;)

JOEPSC said...

Sorry a little late.. Happy Anniversary to you and spouse.

Jo said...

Oh yes.. I forgot to wish you Happy Anniversary Yan and the Mister. :) May you have many many many more wonderful years together.

doc said...

blessed anniversary & here's wishing for many more to come.

i wonder why it's called IRISH stew. as i recalled, to make a drink irish, you'll have to add liquor. so, were you tipsy after the meal?

Yan said...

Joepsc,

Thank you. Very nice of you to drop by now and then!

Yan said...

JoMel,

Ya, grow old with me, the best is yet to be? Ha, ha!

Thank you, thank you for the good wishes.

Yan said...

doc,

No, probably the man felt tipsy? Or I would not have bagged a big cheque for that camera? He took quite a portion of the sauce, and the bread.

stay-at-home mum said...

I hope I am not too late in wishing you and yours a very happy anniversary, and many many more to come!!

And thanks for reminding me about how God put the man to sleep before he made a woman. That probably explains why my hubby can sleep so well, anytime, anywhere!!

And, I really like your new "toy"!!

Yan said...

SAHM,

No, not too late. Everyday is anniversary! Thanks a lot.

My hubby sleeps very well too - and snores a lot too! Oop!

Superman said...

I like the lamb stew at Secret Recipe's Lamb Stew and I had a post about it not long ago. http://skyriders-superman.blogspot.com/2009/07/secret-recipes-irish-lamb-stew-kk.html

So nice to have a new camera. SLR...I will dream about mine in dream only.