Friday, July 17, 2009

The fishing experts

Giving my mind a rest and also letting my eyes to look a little further beyond my computer screen and the office, I have been going for a walk along the water front after my news briefing at 5 pm.

For two consecutive evenings, I saw this guy fishing there. He seemed to have good catches. There were also many people surrounding him. He is the Fishing Expert - I told myself.

The third evening, he was alone. So, I started a conversation. He showed me his harvest, there were four. I said, "I want to take a picture of the fish on the hook, can you let me take one when you next catch one?" Soon, he started pulling back the fish rod. And there, I took a picture!

Another gentleman joined in. The conversation started. This gentleman said he does aviation maintenance in Singapore. He stayed in Sabah when he was young. The two gentlemen started their conversations on fishing. There are both fishing experts!

What's the lesson learnt? Even when you think you know a little of everything, or you think your knowledge is wide, there is always something someone can teach you.

Over His own created beautiful sunset, I remember the story of Peter. Our Lord was addressing a great crowd on the lakeshore. As He spoke, the people moved so closely that He had to climb into Peter's boat and told him to move out a bit into the lake so that people could see him and hear him better. And Jesus continued His sermon.

Later the Lord asked Peter to move the boat into the middle of the lake and there He asked Peter to cast the net to fish.

Peter had been fishing all night and caught nothing! Peter must have thought, Lord you are a great teacher, but when come to fishing, I am the expert.

But Peter obeyed. He let down the net. And lo! To Peter's amazement there was a great host of fish so large that the net began to break!

Peter learnt that even in areas that he thought he was sufficient, he still needed the Lord! Every activity of life requires prayer and a sense of expectation of God at work.

I asked the Lord to teach me always to say this real prayer of a cleaning lady who prays like this -

When I wash the clothes, Lord, wash my heart clean.
When I iron the clothes, Lord, iron all these troubles that I can't do anything about.
When I sweep the floor, Lord, sweep all the corners of my life like I am sweeping this floor.

15 comments:

suituapui said...

That's why there are so many of us in this world - each to play his or her own part... I always tell my students that I don't know everything (though perhaps more than them) and they may know things that I do not know, so we can work together and share... Some teachers get angry/annoyed when their students know more than them/correct them...and some even take it out on the poor students - "They think they're so clever! Bla bla bla!!!"

stay-at-home mum said...

Guess, we never stop learning!!

ilene said...

"All that I have seen, teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen."

P/s: Please hop over to James's comment box. Thanks!

Superman said...

I agreed with STP. Sometime many people refused to let people know that they don't know something and pretend they knew everything! I hate that...some is when they knew something and they will act like they are the expert. I had encounter many these type of people in my works. Hate it.
The guy really did a good catch. The fish looks yummy if steam it.

Jo said...

It takes a patient man to fish. I always think of myself as a Jack of all trades where it comes to knowledge, and my objective is to master something. Anything!

Anonymous said...

I love fishing too!

Yan said...

suituapui,

That's the reason students like you much and also respect you, especially like my daughter who knows you know more than she knows! He, he... Just two days ago, she was "complaining" that I seldom called her. She said, "Do you know that others' mothers call everyday. Even when they release some air in Australia, their mothers know!" Oop.. a lot to learn on motherhood!

Yan said...

SAHM,

My setback is - as I grow older, I do not remember that well. I may still learn fast, but I forget fast! He..he..

Yan said...

ilene,

Thanks for the reminder!

Keep well. And also enjoy your bonding time with your daughter in Singapore.

Yan said...

JoMel,

Hey, are you talking about me? I am the impatient woman - who can never go fishing, I guess! Ha, ha..

And - I know a little of many things, but master of none!

Yan said...

james,

**wink. That's news to me!

Yan said...

Superman,

He is, indeed, a fishing expert. Not by hook only - he goes deep sea fishing!

Jo said...

no lah. i was talking about me. I am the impatient one. haha

Bengbeng said...

I passed Boys Brigade test :)

BH

Yan said...

BH,

Praise the Lord!