Monday, January 12, 2009

Try Some Ducks

(Photo Credit: Steve Ling)

I have been very irritated by the dust in the house due to the ongoing widening of the road in front of my house. Yes, finally, they tar the road. It's almost done for the stretch in front of my house.

When it rained a night before, my heart almost burst with joy. I could have a dust-free day! But when it rained through yesterday, and again last night through to noon, the low-lying parts of the town is under water!

Yes, Sarawak issues Red Alert warning as floods worsen in many districts, 500 villagers evacuated in the north as state braces for the worst!

When I called my friend who stays at the worse flood-prone area, he said, with much humor, "You are the lucky dry chicken, while I am the chicken who is almost drown. Send a boat with some food."

That made me laugh, and also gave me some serious thoughts.

Tell you a story of chicken and ducks that I read quite a long time back.

A man rented a house by a beautiful river. Wonderful shade trees surrounded the house. For five years he enjoyed the many blessings of the place and paid a modest rent. One day the river overflowed its bank. A dozen chickens that he reared were all drowned.

He forgot all his past blessings and pleasures the place had offered him. He stormed into the landlord's house, "I have come to notify you that I am moving out."

The Landlord asked, "I thought you have enjoyed staying there for the past five years?"

The man said, "Yes, but it's different now. The river overflowed and all my chickens are drowned."

The answer from the landlord completely disarmed the grumbler. The landlord said, "Next time, why don't you try ducks?"


While my heart is with folks who stay in low-lying parts of the town, while I understand their afflictions and losses, I pray that at a time like this we shall remain calm, remain strong and be comforted that -

Jesus said, "In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

4 comments:

I Am Sarawakiana said...

Landlords always have their right arguments!

I would think that we need to help chickens and our other animals learn to survive in flood conditions.

Safety first for humans and animals in Sibu flood prone area.....Need to think of new terms and conditions.....

And also an indemnity from the landlord...in this way we are all bound by our honour .

While God's act may be considered as something we should bear with we as his creation must also be ever ready and resourceful to face disasters.

Thank you for the story. It helps in times of worriness and weariness.

Let's try ducks. (smile)

ilene said...

Yan, has the flood water rescinded by now? I think this is the first time your place is so badly hit.

You take care Yan.

P/s: A very interesting duck and chicken story!

Yan said...

sarakiana,

I can see how concerned you are, how your heart is with all of us here.

As at now, 4 pm, with sunshine, conditions in most areas have improved. Thank God for good weather.

Yan said...

ilene,

Yes, conditions improved. This time it's flash flood - a product of poor drainage and negatives effects of development. The river did not overflow like in the chicken's story :)

Thank you for your thoughts.