Thursday, January 22, 2009

Showers of Manna - it's Blessings!


A blessed new year from Yan and her family members, mum in law,
hubby, Rachel and Christopher

I shall be taking a blogging break and should be back before the celebrations end. You know Chinese New Year celebrations end on the 15th day!

While Rachel is looking forward (or is she?) to packing up her belongings and explore, I was not exactly dreading it. But I am definitely circumspect! What is a glorious beginning for Rachel means leaving me lost!

Mothering is such mysterious task. First you developed an intimate attachment with your child, then you spend the rest of your life learning to let go!

What's if she gets sick, who will bring her to see doctor? What's if she feels lonely, who will talk to her? It seems there are so many of "what if".

Probably, I am just being uneasy about what changes this would bring for me.

Yes, there will no disappearance of my more youngish looking shirts and dresses. There will not be occasions when my dressing tables become bare because she borrows the bare minimum that I have. There will not be times when I am amazed how quickly that "kotex" run out and I have to rush to the store on unexpected days.

Yet, in fact, I cherish having her around. She is added sparkle to my busyness! What greater blessings a mother could ask for?

At the beginning of a new year, we always take stock of the blessings in our life. I read a very nice article on "blessings" recently. Author is unknown. I am extracting part of the articles to share with you -

To wish another person prosperity or success is one of the most unselfish things you can do. If tomorrow morning you could go outside and find any heavenly blessing of your choice poured out of the skies, what would you ask for? Or would you prefer your blessings more localized and controlled rather than streaming down like manna on everyone? "Depends on what the blessings are," you might say.

God's blessings never run out, they overlap one another. He keeps generating new ones. Like any loving parent, it is his delight to pour out blessings upon you. And like any child, sometimes you ignore them or take them for granted. God's blessings are pleasures or advantages for the purpose of bringing goodness into your life. They have another purpose too: to nudge you to the place he wants you to be, in attitude or action. However, their full value may or may not be apparent at the moment you receive them. A conflict arises when you decide what the blessing should be and when and how it should come. The apostle Paul asked three times for his "thorn in the side" to be removed. God told him the thorn was a blessing in disguise, to keep him from becoming conceited.

Your choices can determine the kinds of blessings you receive. Some blessings come as a direct result of obedience to God, and some blessings happen when you share the gospel with someone. Anyone who fears God and tries to please him will enjoy automatic blessings. You are to give out your own blessings whenever you can, especially to those who ill-treat you, out of the store of blessings God gives you. In fact, God's abundant provisions can overwhelm you at times. God's blessings pour from his grace, that love he shows to you that is often so undeserved.

Jesus taught about the blessings of God. His blessings include knowing him, being his child, receiving mercy, becoming righteous, finding comfort, going to heaven. You can impart blessings to the people around you - by providing food, help in times of trouble, and various kinds of encouragement. And you can bring blessings to God. He delights in those who obey him. He finds pleasure in earnest attempts to seek him and his ways. He enjoys the activities you ask him to join in. He is pleased when you humble yourself.

Right now, list your blessings. Cross out the ones that could be stolen or destroyed, such as anything material, temporal. Circle those that are eternal, that could never be taken from you, such as your salvation, the love you've received or given. Just thinking about God's presence, your friends and family, your permanent blessings, can bring a quiet joy, a feeling of happiness, no matter what else clouds the horizon.

Leaving you all with this quote as you usher in the year of the Ox!

The best things are nearest:
breath in your nostrils,
light in your eyes,
flowers at your feet,
duties at your hand,
the path of God just before you.
Robert Louis Stevenson

And the newest one from President Barack Obama asking the nation to -

Choose Hope over Fear,
Unity or Purpose over conflict and discord
to overcome the economic crisis.

Now, a short note about the family photos. We have been talking about taking family photos and I kept on putting that move on shelf. One day, Chris said, "Mummy, we have been talking about taking family photo for a year, and still there is no light from the camera." That created a stir in the heart, still not quite able to "move" me. Then, I read from JoMel's blog the nice family photos taken in Bali. That moved me a lot and I started to think seriously about it - it must be one of these days!

Just as I was thinking who would take up a session of simple not so sophisticated family photos, Roger Tiong TL, a colleague, a journalist and a photographer with many of those titles, popped in and threw these words, "Daughter is about to leave home, I better take the family photo for you!"

That's it! He must be God-sent, I told myself.

Thanks to JoMel who made the mountain move. Thanks to my dear colleague for making that happen!

Presenting to you - my family with my big smile as background - my true colours! You can click to enlarge for a close-up look!

36 comments:

James TC Wong said...

A Happy and Blessed New Year to you and your family, Yan! Journey mercy as you and your girl travel to Adelaide. May God always bless and protect Rachel as she pursues her further studies. xD

Jo said...

Wow wow wow! What gorgeous family portraits!! I love your clothes colour scheme, so elegant and smart! Rachel has really grown into a beautiful young lady. And you Yan, you look so good! I wish I could be as determined and disciplined as you in losing some weight! Oh, I love your dimple leh!! :)

tumi荼蘼 said...

愿恩惠慈爱常伴随你们!

Anonymous said...

Wishing you and your family a happy and blessed year of the ox.Just wonder why hubby is not smiling in all the photos!

doc said...

as the new year approaches, this is a timely reminder of our blessings.

have a good year ahead!!

Yan said...

James,

Thank you for your thoughts.

Blessings to you and yours too.

Yan said...

JoMel,

As I wrote in your comment earlier, your family picture posts have been that strong moving force for me to get my family pictures done! Thank you. What a wonderful world of blogging!

Thank you so much for the sweet and warm words - you made my day!

Blessings to you and yours.

Yan said...

tumi,

在新的一年,愿耶和华的祝福满满!

Yan said...

Philip,

God's blessings be in abundance to you, Elizabeth and other members of your family.

Don't tell me that "I am stealing his smile away!" Ya, he looks so serious.

Yan said...

doc,

Blessings to you and yours in the year of the Ox.

Enjoy your new TV during the holidays :)

stay-at-home mum said...

Blessings to you and yours in the coming year of the Ox!!

Yes, motherhood is strange isnt it? but we mums are the blessed ones to be able to experience it all!! and we have to learn to let go. I am sure Rachel will be fine, esp with a fine Mum like you guiding her all these years, and the Lord to watch over her!

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Cheers!

ilene said...

YAN, so your time has now come to let your daughter go after her dreams. The house will soon been very quiet. You're going to miss shopping with her and when you pass the aisles selling her favourite (junk) food, you won't need to pick them up and at the end of the shopping spree, you could probably end up leaving with an empty cart! I went through that stage when my daughter left for university. Perhaps yours could be better than mine seeing that you have your son with you and therefore the need to shop for him still. We feel happy and proud that our little ones are leaving the nest and will learn how to be independent but we'll definitely miss them terribly.

Rachel is beautiful. Takes after her mum! haha! And obviously your son takes after your hubby!

Have a good trip Yan and here's wishing you a very happy chinese new year filled with blessings of joy and good health.

God Bless!

长竹 said...

Yan
好温馨的相片啊!
女儿要离开去澳洲了吗?
祝你们一家一路顺风。

Yan said...

SAHM,

Yes, we are blessed that God has entrusted us with such great responsibility! In difficult times, it's really Him, Him alone that we can look up to for support, guidance and wisdom.

And of course, horizontally, we have friends and family members to support and guide us. And amazingly, even friends in the bloggersphere have been a great source of inspiration and support!

Rachel is a little more mature than girls of her age, I think. She should be doing fine, I should believe so! Yes, why not, God will watch over her!

Happy and healthy new year.

Yan said...

ilene,

That's the empty nest syndrome, that's is. A wise friend of mine said this would be time that we enter the next phase of life - to contribute more to the society or to the field we are working in without having to care for the young ones.

Well, will have to think of such wise words. I have been spending many years in the Girls' Brigade working with young girls. And lo! the government passed a youth act last December disallowing those above 40 to lead in youth organizations. Many of us are lost. Just as we think we can contribute more, we are restrained by law to serve!

ilene, thank you for sharing here! Yes, I read of your girl entering university and thought you wrote beautifully on the subject.

Keep well. Have a happy and healthy new year.

Yan said...

Zhang Zhu,

Yes, daughter will be leaving on the first day of CNY.

Family pictures are always warm and beautiful. Why don't you also take one while the children are all back home? Which is the more popular photo studio in Sarikei now?

I Am Sarawakiana said...

Beautiful pictures of beautiful family.

May the joy of knowing Christ and the grace of God be with you and your loved ones.

Joyous New Year and the whole of the Year of the Ox!!

iml said...

A joyous Lunar New Year. Rachel will be fine. Being on her own is when she will remember all that you have taught/advise her. You will be surprse how quickly she will mature.

Yan said...

sarawakiana,

same to you - all the best for the year of Ox.

Should be visiting you after CNY! Shall we have coffee then?

Yan said...

iml,

I remember when I finished my high school I wanted to be a teacher in a small town. My dad said I must have a "maid" with me. I was then only being offered RM300, how could I afford a maid? We had some struggle, and finally I gave up and joined my brother in another town!

Now, I understand my late dad better!

Lee said...

Hello Yan, here's wishing you and family kong hei fatt choy and the best for the year and coming years.
Beautiful family portrait....and you one very attractive lady.
Have a wonderful holiday and Godspeed. Keep well, Lee.

Anonymous said...

Happy Chinese New Year and all the best to your family. God Bless your family!!

Yan said...

Uncle Lee,

Thank you for the nice words.

You take care and have a blessed new year and also more showers of manna on your birthday.

Yan said...

Victor,

Thank you and same to you.

Keep well and have a healthy and happy new year.

Anonymous said...

God's Blessings upon you and your family throughout this Year of the Ox and all the best to Rachel. Hah! Now, you will be going through what I'm going through - daughter's not at home. At least you still have your son around...so not so bad! LOL!!!

Wang Tai Tai - 王太太 said...

What lovely pictures with your family. :) I read this entry earlier from my iPod so didn't really get a good look at the pictures but now I am reading it again from my PC and it's really, really nice. Makes me want to go get a family picture taken too. God's abundant blessings on you and your family this Lunar New Year~

Bengbeng said...

Happy Chinese New Year and all the best to your family.

I managed to discharge myself before the CNY :) Pretty miserable in GH. lucky Daniel n Paula came to cheer me up. After they left I decided i didnt want to stay a day longer than necessary hahahaah

dobbs said...

Your family pics are absolutely lovely! Wishing you all a safe trip and God's richest blessings on you and your family this Chinese New Year *hugs*
So did the dryer come in useful? ;)

Yan said...

suituapui,

May you and your loved ones be richly blessed in the new year and beyond.

Thanks for teaching Rachel these two years. She has learnt much from you, or rather, you had, during your teaching sessions allowed her to show her true colours! Not many teachers can do that well - giving roots yet still give wings for students to fly. She has truly enjoyed herself while learning in your classes.
So, To Sir With Love - on behalf of my sweet daughter.

P/S The other day I overheard her telling her brother, "If you go to AW's class next time, don't tell him that you are my brother." Mystery? Probably the teacher knows can satisfy a mum's curiosity, eh?

Yan said...

Wang Tai Tai aka bkworm!

Go for it - I mean the family pictures. It's also bonding. And you know this journalist friend of mine ran a studio previously. He ended his business and re-join journalism. When we went to his studio which had been left unused for a while, the air-cond did not work. It was hot - yet we could put on some smiles. Of course, hubby felt the heat most. Oop.. now, I know why he was not smiling in all the pictures! LOL

Have a joyous new year!

Yan said...

Bengbeng,

So, you "landed" in GH. I was wondering. So happy to hear that you are discharged. But, still, take a good rest during CNY holidays.

Glad that Daniel made his way to see you in hospital.

Wishing you a happy and healthy year of the Ox. God's blessings in abundance.

Yan said...

dobbs,

Ha, the facebook thingy is really good. I am facebooking a lot on my blackberry. So much so that I am now BB Phyllis! Not baby, but BlackBerry.

Yes, the dryer comes handy. It actually saves my maid many trips of rushing to take in and out the laundry. Still, I love the smell of clothes dried under the sun!

Finished with your curtain cleaning?

Wishing you a joyous year of Ox.

dobbs said...

Glad the dryer came in useful although like you I love the fresh smell of sun-dried clothes. I'm done with my curtains for CNY. The advantage of staying in a terraced house is that it only took 3 washes lol!

bp said...

Yan,
I'm glad that mountain has been moved... look how awesome these family pictures turned out! I love all your smiles, and Chris and Rachel are growing up so beautifully! Safe travels to down under, and everything be "smooth-smooth" (WAN SHI RU YI!) as Rach makes the transition to this next exciting chapter of her life! God bless!

patchwork said...

hi! Yan,

family pic looking great..
you look so much younger...
take more family photo and stay young...:)

Constance Chan said...

Yan, thanks for sharing this post. The photos were lovely. The article about Blessings was a very down to earth reminder for me. About appreciating the simple things in life and the love of having my family around with me at this moment and point of my life. We always tend to look far and wide that we forget to look at what is in front of us and what we have now.

Thanks for sharing. Hope your Niu Year will be a wonderful one filled with love, joy and success.