Friday, January 16, 2009

Warts and All


Many of my friends had, for at least once in their life, joined a promotion by cosmetic companies to have a makeover packaged with photographs taken by professional photographers.

There, the cosmetic companies happily closed their sales, the make-up artists and hair stylists passionately colour their faces and blow their hair, and the photographers creatively snapping away with images. Then, photographs will be doctored to the satisfaction of the clients. Often, there is no blemish! The clients walk away happily with the film-star-like photographs to keep, to self admire and to show!

Warts and all - that's all I want it! How many of us really mean it, or do we look at the photograph and think it does not do us justice?

It was during the years of the Protectorate in England. The Protector said to the French painter, Mr Peter Lely, "I desire you would use all your skill to paint my picture truly like me, and not flatter me at all; but remark all these roughnesses, pimples, warts and all; otherwise I never will pay a farthing for it."

We all like to present ourselves in brighter-than-life colours! In fact, by doing so, we lose our true colours, our true self. I like this song, "True Colours" -

You with the sad eyes
don't be discouraged
oh I realize
it's hard to take courage
in a world full of people
you can lose sight of it all
and the darkness inside you
can make you fell so small

But I see your true colors
shining through
I see your true colors
and that's why I love you
so don't be afraid to let them show
your true colors
true colors are beautiful
like a rainbow

Show me a smile then
don't be unhappy, can't remember
when I last saw you laughing
if this world makes you crazy
and you've taken all you can bear
you call me up
because you know I'll be there

And I'll see your true colors
shining through
I see your true colors
and that's why I love you
so don't be afraid to let them show
your true colors
true colors are beautiful
like a rainbow

God sees people and things the way they actually are, "warts and all".
He uses people who are not perfect - in fact, he seems to prefer that kind!

So, show your true colours! True colours are beautiful like a rainbow.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes...love me for what I am!! I am who I am!

Lee said...

Hi Yan, I love photography. And take mostly portraits of people.
I have a 12 year old Nikon film camera and for back-up a 30 year Yashica Electro film camera, plus accessory flash etc.

I make women beautiful with my camera. Candid shots or posed. In sarongs, cheong sums or cocktail dresses.

And my reward is getting their excited exclaimation, "Ohhh my God! Is that me"? When I make a matured lady look alluringly beautiful...and sexy, ha ha.
Or their husband's, "is that my wife"? Ha ha.

Most things in life are moments of pleasure and a lifetime of embarrassment; photography is a moment of embarrassment and a lifetime of pleasure.

A great photograph is a full expression of what one feels about what is being photographed in the deepest sense, and is, thereby, a true expression of what one feels about life in its entirety.

Have a pleasant weekend, keep well, best regards, Lee.

Constance Chan said...

hi Yan, how are you. you blog design is fabulous!

Yan said...

suituapui,

I am sure you love yourself much - I really was not able to call myself "sui-sui" when I was a little girl, and very "pui" :)

Keep loving!

Yan said...

Uncle Lee (should I call you Uncle while I am being an auntie, LOL)

Once upon a time, I loved photography too! I took more of young children - I love their simplicity. That's something I see with my heart instead of my eyes!

And I am sure when you took pictures of women you were also seeing with your heart's eyes. And I truly believe you, the unique Uncle Lee, captured the best parts of the persons you photographed!

Ernest Lacan, the French journalist once said, "photography is like a mistress whom one cherishes and hides, about whom one speaks with joy but does not want others to mention".

The only part I do not agree is the "doctoring" of the photographs with photoshop or whatever software available to totally hide the true colours of a person! Probably because I am a journalist!

Keep well.

Yan said...

Constance,

I am keeping fine. Thanks for dropping a note. The blog template is for CNY, but it's actually meant for Christmas :)