
Read a piece of news some time back in BBC News with this picture.
The story was told that a married couple in Cambodia who decided to go their separate ways agreed to divide their home and its contents - by sawing the house in half.
They really mean it! The wife keeps the half that is standing, while the husband has carried off bits and pieces of the home to put them up in a nearby field.
Village chief Vorng Morn said that the pair did not separate over 'anything big' - the husband accused his wife of not caring for him when he became ill recently.
Have they forgotten their wedding vows? Or they did not mean it when they said "I do" to love, honor, cherish and protect her/him, forsaking all others and holding only unto her/him?" Or the promise to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer was talk only?
The Bible is full of beautiful lines and verses which can help express joy and love at wedding. I love this one especially -
"Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm;
for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave.
It burns like a blazing fire, like a mighty flame.
Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot wash it away.
If one were to give all the wealth of his house for love, it would be utterly scorned."
(Captured this moment of the couple in Vietnam)
18 comments:
I love the verse, Yan. It's beautiful!!
We always say "what is yours is mine!" esp since now I am totally dependent on my hubby, and am a full time mum!!
JoMel,
Glad that you like it. We do not get to see this Song of Solomon in wedding bulletin. Hey, why not keep it and remember to put in our children's wedding! Ha, ha, this mum is dreaming away. A long way to go!
Blessings.
SAHM,
Men are normally more "generous". In my house, though I am working, this is my slogan, take a deep breath -
What is mine is mine.
What is yours is mine.
Ha, ha.
With us the SAHMs
those two lines are the unspoken understanding in the relationship.
我曾经也看过这张相片,不知是在那里见过。当时想,屋子也能够分成这个样子,实在奇特极了!
Yan,你的Email是什么?
Hopped over from Ilene's. And I like what you have here.
I'm not married, nowhere near there either, but based on cases of divorces due to ridiculous reasons does make one think that marriage vows are no more than customary phrases to officiate the beginning of something, you know, like "Welcome" or "Thank You"... words we often say because it's part of the norm.
Sad.
woah, what that Cambodian couple did!
thanks for sharing the verses, n i like what your policy... your reply to SAHM ;p
iml,
Probably to phrase it "better" and more "fair" (ha, ha, guilty conscience) -
What is mine is mine
What is yours is ours
That sounds a lot better.
Having said that in a relationship, it's really needs efforts of both!
Vern,
Thanks for dropping by and even left a comment.
Hey, don't despair, Love is still in the air. The Bible has the essence of that finest essay on love..
Love is kind.... I Corinthians 13
May God Bless you.
bp,
I also like a lot of Roy Croft's words -
I love you, not only for what
You have made of yourself
But for what you are making of me.
I love you,not only for what you are
But for what I am when I am with you.
Isn't it beautiful?
Let's all be better "lovers" - whether SAHM or working mum!
Zhang Zhu,
Just sent you an email.
Sorry, no Chinese program installed at home PC, thus replying you in English.
Wah! In Vietnam, the guy's such a gentleman! Carried the bouquet for the bride... LOL!!!
Yan,
不要紧的,用英文跟用华语,对我来说是没什么分别的。不会怎样的鸡同鸭讲的啦!哈哈哈!倒是会从你的句子中学到英文呢!
suituapui,
Notice the bride had to be careful not to step on the gown! The bridegroom is showing much care!
Zhang Zhu,
It was so nice and thoughtful of you to have come to the place where we had lunch this afternoon. It's so nice to travel back time. When you next visit Sibu, please give me a call.
Hi Yan, ha ha, love that 'half house'. Wonder who gets the kitchen?
Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of joy, you must have somebody to divide it with. Ha ha.
Yan, thank you for coming over...and yes, I used to pop over to Sarawak....Sibu, KK, Kuching, etc few times old days. Still have friends there.
By the way, if got nothing better to do, check out my archive, story involving Sarawak.
Titled, "My tears never dry for you", d/d 9/24/08
You have a pleasant weekend, best regards, Lee.
in my family it works like this, my money is Mrs BB's money. Her money is her money :) It has worked out well though all these years ;)
Post a Comment