This is the fifth reunion dinner that dad in law is missing. Dad in law passed away on 2nd October 2004. I recalled that dad in law would always had his special “Mee Hoon Soup” specially prepared for him only. Mum in law would never fail to cook a special bowl for him.
With dad in law missing, the special “Mee Hoon Soup” had not been prepared for the past four years. This year, mum in law put back this dish on the reunion table. She had specially cooked this dish -
Though life is to be lived forward, looking back will always give us many fond memories of the loved ones missing from the table, and those special food missing from the dinner menu.
Looking back, we remember the courage and the love of our loved ones. These loved ones will never come back to us. But, we shall go to them! One day, we shall feast together at Jesus’ feet. Then, it will be more than the “Mee Hoon Soup”.
Beside the "Mee Hoon Soup" that my mum in law cooked, I cooked ten perfect dishes plus another two for the reunion dinner.
Buttered prawns – sister Tee Yong specially sent 2 kg for Rachel. I could not find such big prawns in town. Thanks to sister!Fried noodles mixed with kuay teow– the favourite of Chris
Crabs fried with extra eggs - probably the love of everyone
The eggs of peace (Tai Ping Dang) – I like best
Steamed Fish
Sweet and Sour Pork
Duck (Lor Ark)Siao Bee (bought from market)
Sea Cucumber
Crabs steamed with eggs and kuay teow (did not get it quite right, it's not soupy, I just saw a picture in Uncle Lee's and gave it a try. It was not disastrous, for it really taste "crab-py" and delicious! I should get it right next time.)
And everybody's favourite - the peach, the longan in tin bringing back many childhood memories!
Though not the best, it’s the thoughts that matters, and it’s labour of love!
See how the little one (Raymond, Chris' cousin) also helped?
See how the little one (Raymond, Chris' cousin) also helped?
And the littlest one (Ryan, Chris' cousin) sent his greetings -
25 comments:
Happy Niu Year and yes, may it be an ox-picious one! Yum, your reunion is such a sumptuous spread!
SUITUAPUI:
Gong Xi Fa Cai! Showers of blessings be upon you and your family throughout this Year of the Ox! Wow! You're great! A successful career woman, a wonderful wife & mother and a fantastic cook! Here's a toast to you! Cheers!
And a Happy Niu Year to you and your family too! MAy the year be especially OX-picious!!
bp,
Ya, it's at the reunion table that I have to tell myself over this diet tips - calories at reunion dinner are not counted :)
Have a joyous new year, bp.
suituapui,
These are very kind words - thank you. You have mooo..ed me to work harder in the year of ox. Well, after all, ox works very hard, right?
All the best to you in the niu year, may we all be as strong as the niu!
SAHM,
Blessings for the niu year too, to you and your loved ones.
Thanks for your CNY blessings. :)
Wishing you & your loved ones God’s bountiful blessings in the Year of the OX. :)
i love reading your blog because you really do have a life. i love to read the part about your relationship with your daughter..they are very insightful. keep on. happy new year. jt
Jemima,
Thanks for dropping by. Have been reading your blog for a while, hopping from doc's. Very insightful.
Jt,
Happy new year! Comparing to your travel stories, I do feel very indequate :)
Wow! 10 dishes. That is quite a feat.
Have a happy new year.
blogpastor,
It's only a feast - thanks for being so nice to call it a feat :)
Happy New Year to you and yours too.
Wishing you and your family have a great, wonderful and prosperous Ox New Year :)
moo-Ved by thy greAtng and joymoo spead...from a lazy BUMmer pigLET letting out Ox-ygenated Wow,where's da ang-pow! -- Desi
Gong Xi Fa Cai. The spread on your table is simple astounding Yan!! Fit for a king.
And I too love that coarse meehoon very much. My dad cooks it with some small seafood "thingy" from a can, I really don't know what's it called but you might know since this is a foochow dish. Then sliced pork, leek/ spring onion, garlic, and it's not soupy, just moist... It is one of my favourite!
Hi Yan, wow! Fantastic dishes....you sure one fantastic gourmet cook.
I always say women like you are dangerous to bachelors, ha ha....
if not for my wife's cooking I wouldn't have lost my Bachelor's degree, ha ha.
Have a great Ox year, best regards, Lee.
GONG XI FA CAI YAN. Wow, that's a lot of cooking! You must be tired after all the cooking and cleaning up.
May I please know who ate the bowl of noodles? How come mum-in-law decided to do that dish? hmm....just wondering thoughts as I remembered last year, my mum boiled red eggs for my Chinese birthday - first (and last) time since I got married. I cried and cried while eating that 2 eggs coz some how some where in my heart I knew she won't be making me anymore red eggs after that.
May the Year of the Ox bring showers of good health, wealth and happiness to you and your family.
oi..update soonlah :) anxious for the Ozzie pics
湘绣蜻蜓
Thanks for your new year wishes. Have a wonderful and joyous niu year!
Desi,
Just tried the Desi, or rather teh tarik on board Malaysian Airline. The charming MH girl offered and she said she could do it less sweet. And indeed she did!
JoMel,
Indeed your dad did it very "foochow" way. Love the "mee sua" on double boiled chicken soup that you ate on the second day of CNY. We had it just before we left for Adelaide on the first day of CNY. It's Rachel's favourite (daughter). Now, she will miss it!
And I am already missing her. Just arrived KL. Roaming around in KLIA, and landed in this comfy lounge that gives Citibank platimum card holder free access. But, hold on, for two hours only!
Uncle Lee,
Yes, you lost the bachelor's degree, but your wife gained a Master's!
You didn't lose anything at all!
My husband did not marry me for my cooking skill - because he has a mother who is a better cook. I learnt it from my mother-in-law! Ahem...
ilene,
Hubby asked for that "mee hoon soup". I was supposed to cook for him. Mum in law offered to cook that dish.
Cooking can be easy if we get it organized!
Bengbeng,
Akan Datang!
that looked like wonderful dishes laced with so much love, Yan.. i hope one day when my kids are all married with their own family, i'll be able to have a nice big reunion like yours..
perhaps i'm feeling just a little nostalgic cos i didn't get to go back Penang since December (hubby had to work) and CNY was a no go too. School hols were too short in Singapore...
Post a Comment