Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Beautiful Walk



My eyes are ever on the Lord, for only he will release my feet from the snare. - Psalms 25:15

Following my last fall, I had another one some three weeks ago. I mused to myself that that was a better fall because I escaped with some cuts and scratches on the right knee and left foot only. And those cuts had healed nicely.

It still got back to how we walked. After a few falls, it has been my natural tendency to slow down, look down and eyes fixed on the feet and being careful with every step. My husband even commented that I walked like an elderly woman. My sister-in-law also gives the same comment - You look young, but you walk like an elderly woman!

During my recent retreat with the Girls' Brigade Officers in Cheras, Kuala Lumpur, in a devotional material for night vesper, this question was posed -

When we walk and our eyes are fixed on our feet during our walking, how then can we know the direction to walk?

From my own experience of "slipped and fell", I could not come to terms that we should "life up our head and fixed our eyes at the far distance". Yes, we need to take our focus away from our self-centre attitude in order to see the big picture and not to loose sight of our destination. Still, we need to watch our every step lest we fall.

I like this road sign while browsing through the net searching for a suitable picture for this post. A search on the net also gives me an interesting explanation from the British Medical Journal of this road sign:
The traffic sign for elderly or disabled people crossing the road was introduced in the United Kingdom in 1981 after a children’s competition. It portrays a silhouette of a man with a flexed posture using a cane and leading a kyphotic (abnormality of the vertebral column) woman. The same sign is also used for frail, disabled, or blind people, even though many of these people are not old. The sign implies that osteopaenic vertebral collapse and the need for mobility aids are to be expected with physical disability as well as with advancing age.
Yes, even as we walk like an elderly, if we fix our eyes on Jesus, our every step will still be full of confidence and our walk will be beautiful.

4 comments:

JOEPSC said...

Glad that those cuts had healed. Watch each step even though you may walk in confidence. Our feet now don't seem to obey our minds' every intention as we get older ;)

Constance Chan said...

I've had some falls myself.. lately in the recent years, i chose to be extra cautious too and wear shoes that are practical. no more heels for me...

Yan said...

joe,

Take these words said to me by one of the top ten richest man in Malaysia. He said this after a fall that broke the thigh bone -

When you get old, your mind works faster than your physical movements. You think you have step into the room, but actually you have not. That caused the fall.

Yan said...

constance,

Ya, no heels - but, I never wear any heels. I am a very accident-prone woman - probably, something to do with my nature, physical structure and character?

Keep watching our steps!