Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Never Eat Alone

There is a book on "networking" titled "Never Eat Alone" which I came across in a bookshop sometimes back. The title itself attracted me. I did not get a copy because "networking" was not on my plate.

I was then curious to find out why we should "never eat alone"!

The idea here in this book is that a meal is a spectacular time to connect with someone. Therefore, if you’re eating alone, you’re missing out on an opportunity to connect with someone. In fact, the author suggests mixing and matching by inviting multiple people to eat with you from different parts of your social network, which can help build new connections and bring hidden ones to the forefront.

I am side-tracking. "Networking" is not menu of the day.

I do feel comfortable while eating alone at home. But, it is a difficult decision to make to eat alone while on travelling. I always end up eating alone in the hotel with the cup noodles!

I boarded AirAsia flight yesterday. Having rushed out from the meeting to catch a flight back home, I did not have much to fill my stomach. It was 6:30 pm while on board. When the stewardess were "selling" the food on board, I took a look at the menu. My usual "eat-alone cup noodles" costs RM6 while I can get it at RM1.50 on the ground. I closed my eyes - no, no.


Right after the food, over the air I heard that the stewardess would be coming around to collect donations for Institut Jantung Negara (National Heart Institute).

It is surely an easier decision to make than having to decide what to eat while alone. It made me feel that I really do know what I am doing!

If you do not like to eat alone, you could part with your money to this sweet stewardess of AirAsia for a hearty cause!

10 comments:

James TC Wong said...

I really dislike eating alone.

xD

stay-at-home mum said...

When overseas and I have to eat alone, its usually at Macs or one of those fast food places, at a table by myself in the corner. Sometimes I enjoy eating alone, coz it gives me time to gather my thots, since nowadays I can hardly do anything in peace, not even going to the loo , without some one walking in on me with a "Mum... where is the..."

stay-at-home mum said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bp said...

Me don't like to eat alone outside, and if I really have to, I make sure I have a book to "keep me company"... hehe!

Jo said...

It really makes sense what you said about taking mealtimes to connect with someone.

However, I don't know if this has anything to do with me being alone overseas all those years, from when I was only 6, I actually feel more comfortable eating alone outside, than say, eat with someone whom I have to try to connect to. As what the author suggested - networking during mealtimes. That's something that I don't really enjoy doing.

Yan said...

James,

I know when I am next in Miri - I can look for who to dine with! Networking for Christ. Amen?

Yan said...

SAHM,

Probably, for me it's sign of ageing! I eat a little less than a portion served, especially in Singapore and KL, the portion can be like mountain! And I really do not like to "waste" food. Hubby can eat more than a portion, so he could share some of mine. Chris likes to try varieties. Rach always shares one portion with me.

Eating together with children brings much memories of the young days when siblings (I have nine!) fought over food! He..he..

Yan said...

bp,

That's a great idea - to have books to keep company. Now, I have "laptop" and "Palm" or even "handphone" to keep company!

I have seen families eating together, but each one concentrate on their handphones!

Yan said...

Jo,

I am now reaching that "retirement" age - I avoid much of the "networking" meals. I do "connections" in the office, strictly business.

Meals are with good friends and family members!

It's manageable - really.

How's the preparation for the big day getting?

Jo said...

Yan, preparation is going well, I think. The reason why I said I think is because I really cannot think of anything else I need to do apart from collecting my dress, confirming the guests' attendance, booking my facial and manicure... that's about it I think. :)