Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Pasta Thoughts

One of my treasured cook book is this one - Sophia Loren's Recipes and Memories. It's a cookbook. It's also a memoir. And you know how prized it could be!

Sophia shares each recipe with a story behind it. There is one Italian national dish called Panzanella - known to be the food of poor people. Panzanella is actually a tomato and bread salad. It is stale bread soaked in water, then drizzled with olive oil and topped with tomatoes, onion and basil. Sophia pays tribute to the inventiveness of her grandmother. She shares that no one could ever make it like her grandmother. She further shares that when her grandmother made this dish, it meant the household had run out of money. Sophia loved it so much that, in her childhood innocence, she wished the hard times would come even more often so she could always have it.

In the cries of rising cost of living, I feel the pinch also. My usual tankful of RM100 petrol pump now costs me RM150. Friends said I pump but the company pays. Still, it's my share - I have to work for it! With my usual RM20 per kg rice reaching to RM50, it is a rude awakening. I have been too easy with my helper. On days when she is lazy, she will just take the leftover rice for the three dogs when I have lower quality rice for the dogs. Probably, that is the reason that she cooks extra. I called it a day last week. Every night I would keep the leftover rice in the refrigerator. She is now cooking half measurement of her usual's!

I remember my mother used to pour some hot water over the leftover rice, get some salted fish and there went a meal! That's Chinese salad.

Days are bad, but we still can make our own Panzanella or Chinese salad and in our finest Sophia Loren accent said, "It's Pansaneeeellla! Go! Everyone eat!" and still be appreciated, loved and adored!

6 comments:

bp said...

I think we are all feeling the pinch, trying to catch the gas prices when we think it looks OK (tho' still high), and hubby asked if I should start making more potatoes instead of just rice and pasta as our carbo!

But you're right, "Go, eat" and may I also add, "Come, eat"... may we always have enough, and more than enough to spread around =).

Constance Chan said...

yes i feel the pinch too. i have now learn to be happy with some non luxury items and also used no frills or house brand instead. some are actually just as good and don't make as much difference. and also i try to save more by buying those items that sell cheaper when they are packed at two or more. Every little savings goes a long way too.

iml said...

For reasons best known to them, many chinese still believe that eating overnight rice is a taboo. I keep all mine in the fridge and make fried rice!
My mum would also add hot water to the cold rice, topped with fried egg and a sliver of luncheon meat.It's an instant, delicious and a satisfying meal!

Yan said...

bp,

Come, eat - WOW, that's a better way to say! Thanks for sharing!

Yes, let's come and eat - whatever given to us by our Maker and be grateful.

Yan said...

constance,

Yes, I also begin to compare prices, and really reduce the number of dishes for each meal!

Yan said...

iml,

Now every grain counts! Really. I told my helper that even if "auntie" has money, there is food shortage worldwide. They are people starving. That seems to work!

So overnight rice are now being fried, or just steam!

Thanks for sharing.