Friday, September 18, 2009

Tis' the season to be jolly

(No, not Christmas yet, though I have been listening to Christmas music and songs on my iPod lately!)

In the midst of the hurry-burly and hustle and bustle of festive seasons, the news room has been flooded with many goodies from well-wishers. In fact, goodies started pouring in just before National Day with this box of goodies from Petronas - the P. Ramlee memories!

Then, it's the mooncakes. I like the packaging, not the mooncakes. I like the egg yolks in the mooncakes. Last year or probably few years back, my son Christopher suggested that I buy a dozen of salted eggs and eat the yolks instead of digging the yolks from the mooncakes!

This evening when I gave a gift pack from a famous bakery shop here to one of the young reporters to bring back home, he said, "I know the yolks inside are all gone!"

Of course, the Hari Raya goodies! Yesterday in the midst of some unfortunate happenings in the news room, we spreaded these goodies sent in by a five-star hotel for sharing. Even the colours did not delight me. This verse came to mind -

Better is a dinner of herb's where love is
than a fatted ox and hatred with it.
(Proverbs 15:17)

Indeed, who would not prefer to sit down at a table where there is only this "martabak" but a wonderful atmosphere of love, then a table loaded with goodies when everyone growls at each other?

I have just discovered this "martabak" at the Ramadan store just within walking distance from my office. It's all stuffed with vegetables, soft and crunchy inside, crispy outside. Tomorrow is the last day of Ramadan, I think I would change my "meat day" to Sunday and catch up with the last minute shopping for another round of "martabak"!



8 comments:

Ensurai said...

Can I borrow your Proverbs ?
Just the one that I can use...thanks...
Yeah I would buy half a doz of salted eggs and feast on the yolks..minus the lotus paste...or have three side dishes = lotus paste = moon cake pastry (dog shape or rabbit shape) = salted egg yolks. These three end up 200% less the cost of one mooncake..minus the brand name of course..
Happy mooncake festival.

Bengbeng said...

we love salted eggs too. In fact benghui and I would buy bak chang just for the salted eggs. :) The P Ramlee thingy looks good..

suituapui said...

Some people have all the luck in the world!...

Gee! Beng2 buying bak chang for the salted egg? Isn't it cheaper to buy a salted egg instead?

Ooo...those mooncakes with salted eggs SOOO...expensive!!! Pensioner surely can;t afford! Not buying any anymore. Will you be getting those as gifts too? Hint! Hint! Wink! Wink! Hahahahahahaha!!!!

Yan said...

sarawakiana,

No problem. All the wisdom here are borrowed - sometimes acknowledged, if I remember the source, sometimes just take it as if it's my own which is too bad :)

I like your idea of economics - very Foochow leh..

Happy holidays!

Yan said...

Bengbeng,

You like P.Ramlee?

Chris and I also like the Bak Chang with salted egg inside. The Bak Chang at Sing Kwong is quite nice, but lo! very expensive!

Yan said...

STP,

As said the mooncakes received are just exchanging hands. You sure don't have luck, I have given all away - from those air-flown from KL to the local bakeries - not one left. Event he P. Ramlee tins, I have found an owner!

Honestly, the sweetness loaded in the mooncakes is not too good for pensioner, that's why it's expensive :)

Jo said...

YUMMY! Very tasty looking Murtabak!

So meat day is on Sunday's now! Another reason to rejoice on a Sunday then. :)

Yan said...

JoMel,

Ya, meat day today! But unfortunately, the coffee shop is closed today, or I would have "helped" you with the durian swiss roll!

It's 6:21 pm, I have not decided what meat to eat! Ha, ha!