Saturday, September 12, 2009

Meat day delights

Photo thoughts:
I have put the focus on the "vegetables" - intentional to add delights to the meat!

Saturday or Sunday is my consultant's meat day. The day he eats meat (red meat), that is. During his one-month's stay here, I followed his style quite closely. He has left for almost a month now, I keep as close as possible to eating meat only once a week too, and also have it on Saturday or Sunday.

It's Saturday, strangely, from morning to noon, my heart sang with joy - "Hooray, it's meat day!" So, sharp at 12 noon, I walked out of office and across the street to the Vietnamese eating place, I had this "stewed beef Mee Hoon". It looks good, and it tastes better. (This is the first food picture with my new toy, the Canon 50D).

"Meat day" also brings me some new found joy in knowing God's wonderful plan in our life. There is a time for everything, the Searcher says. I have always treated Ecclesiastes as a book of gloom and pessimism -

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up; (Ecclesiastes 3:1-3 RSV)

But, God intends us to have joy and his program to bring it about includes all opposites. Half of the problem of life is that we are constantly trying to run this schedule ourselves. But God has already planned the schedule. There is an appropriate time for everything.

Now He assures us,

He has made everything beautiful in its time; (Ecclesiastes 3:11a RSV)

And puts in us,

...also he has put eternity into man's mind. (Ecclesiastes 3:11b RSV)

Whether it's "meat day" or "vegetable day" - it's God's wonderful plan for our life to keep and to enjoy!

No? Has He not also said this?

...also that it is God's gift to man that every one should eat and drink and take pleasure in all his toil. (Ecclesiastes 3:13 RSV)


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also am chirpy today because it's a meat day and because we're having a run of excellent, warm days (now that summer is officially over!). That's a marvellous camera you have, Yan. My mouth is watering just looking at that picture of the dish of stewed meat. I love the idea of chillis at the side.

Yan said...

Marvellous the camera may be, it's the eyes (oop.. only one eye, it's singular) behind that do the marvels!

I forgot to ask you whether your "meat day" means you can have meat BLD! Right now, I am craving for Burger King! Can?

stay-at-home mum said...

Wow. You are really disciplined to have meat only on one day. I must try that too.

Jo said...

I know I will fail grandly at this attempt of one meat day a week.

Yan said...

SAHM,

I am already a little more relaxed. My consultant even does not take butter! Though he said for 'red meat" only, I observed that apart from fish, not even chicken for other days.

Yan said...

JoMel,

Start with a partner, and you can make it! David? Ha, ha, he may kill me for suggesting that!

Jo said...

David?? Even my toes are laughing!! hahahaha!!

Ensurai said...

You can have a Tou Foo Day too...
It is a good idea to have a Meat Day!
Beautiful Biblical quote..my favourite actually. Thanks.

Nice toy too...Enjoy shooting!

Superman said...

Vietnamese always make nice beef noodles!