(The sound of rejoicing: Picture taken during the Wesley Methodist Church's Jubilee Celebrations last year, the first pastor of Wesley Rev David MacDonald singing with other missionaries. Thankfulness is always part of true celebration!)I thanked a friend for the kindness I have received from him. He wrote,
Thanks for your thanks!
Thanksgiving only comes as a result of having received something. You do not give thanks until you have received something. You only say "Thank you" when somebody has given you something you did not have yourself. It comes from another.
"Thanking someone for your thanks" is "thanking someone without receiving something" in true sense. Only this friend knows what he is thanking for! It gives me some thoughts.
Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving,
and pay your vows to the Most High;
and call upon me in the day of trouble;
I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me. (Psalms 50:14-15 RSV)
It still goes back to my "blur vision" which has not turned out too well these two days. Now, should these be the days that I have nothing to thank Him for? I am not expected to go around shouting, "Hallelujah! I've got poor vision!"
But there is really something to be thankful for. A poor vision is not something that someone can possibly enjoy, but there are other aspects which reveal purpose, meaning and reason.
From "one thank to the other", God lets me see through the blur vision - what he can do with that situation, and be thankful. It warms my heart that I can call upon my Father in the day of trouble, and He promised that He will deliver me!
"In everything," says the Apostle Paul, "give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (1 Thessalonians 5:18)
A thankful heart, that is!
Thanks for your thanks!
Thanksgiving only comes as a result of having received something. You do not give thanks until you have received something. You only say "Thank you" when somebody has given you something you did not have yourself. It comes from another.
"Thanking someone for your thanks" is "thanking someone without receiving something" in true sense. Only this friend knows what he is thanking for! It gives me some thoughts.
Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving,
and pay your vows to the Most High;
and call upon me in the day of trouble;
I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me. (Psalms 50:14-15 RSV)
It still goes back to my "blur vision" which has not turned out too well these two days. Now, should these be the days that I have nothing to thank Him for? I am not expected to go around shouting, "Hallelujah! I've got poor vision!"
But there is really something to be thankful for. A poor vision is not something that someone can possibly enjoy, but there are other aspects which reveal purpose, meaning and reason.
From "one thank to the other", God lets me see through the blur vision - what he can do with that situation, and be thankful. It warms my heart that I can call upon my Father in the day of trouble, and He promised that He will deliver me!
"In everything," says the Apostle Paul, "give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (1 Thessalonians 5:18)
A thankful heart, that is!
9 comments:
Rejoice and be thankful!
A joyful heart is a beautiful heart.
Thanks for a beautiful post.
Yan,
Great friend you are, so you have great friend too!
I am touched and inspired!
Coffee soon? I am sure the sun shines better in the land below the wind with you there! That's why is so hazy here!
Ever, pt
Sarawakiana,
Again, it's "borrowed wisdom"! I like your treasure chest and thank you so much for putting me in your treasure chest too!
pt,
PM said when the sun rises in Malaysia, it shines in Sarawak and Sabah! I have yet to comprehend what he meant, surely it's more than the fact that the sun rises in East (East Malaysia)! So, the sun shines in both states, whether the hornbill land or land below the wind!
See you soon. The last trip you missed the coffee talk because you did not see the sunrise!
Hi, Yan,
Have been reading your blog for a long time - inspired, encouraged and uplifted!
Keep on writing - because you never know whom you have blessed today!
LL
LL,
Welcome to the blogging world, or welcome to my home!
No rule, no regulation, just check in anytime and leave some thoughts! As said, your thoughts count!
aww.. may the good Lord bless you abundantly Yan. You have such a kind heart. Other people in your position would have been so pessimistic and negative. And yet, through your blurred vision, you continue to encourage and inspire others with your positive outlook and your gratefulness. Now.. I see this as one of His "purpose".
and *BIG BIG HUGS* from me. :)
JoMel,
Thank you for "seeing" with me! Thanks for your hugs - HUGZ back!
Post a Comment