For Ida, it means having a "big-size" sister beside as her support to her weak knees when we walk to the altar to commune at the table. For me, it means nice company.
When I left for Sabah three months ago, I asked another sister to be with Ida on communion Sundays.
"She disappeared one week. Thank God that Jo was right behind me."
"I miss reading your sermon's summary in the blog..." Ida related to me last Sunday morning when I was back to my own town and my own church, Wesley Methodist.
Ida's expression of love opened my eyes the second time during that week to see what had been lacking in my last three months in Sabah - the fellowship with Christians and friends. While I have enjoyed much of the friendliness and kindness of my colleagues and new friends, I am deprived of the share of fellowship.
My faith was shaken when my blur vision recurred two Mondays ago while in Sandakan. I was engrossed in my eye problem that I was blind to the needs of people around me. Until few days later when we went to Labuan that I noticed my consultant limping badly. He had been telling me of his ankle pain for a week or so, and I was "blind" to it because of my own "blindness"!
I began to see his needs - insisting a visit to a doctor and a physiotherapy session and even saw that he should have loosened his shoe laces to take away some pressure on the swollen ankle.
But, I know the state of little faith I was in - unless I see, I won't believe there is a lesson for me to learn in the recurrence of the blur vision!
Then I met JoMel - face to face the first time. (Read her account here and here and here) I was touched over and over by her friendship and how she welcomed me into her home! For the first time after three months, I enjoyed a fellowship and with that, I began to see things beyond my eye vision.
By Wednesday, when I stepped into my eye doctor's clinic, when I did not see a word on the eye test chart with my left eye, I did not despair. I believe "without seeing" that His grace is sufficient for me.
Back to my own church on Sunday, the sermon's title - Believing is not seeing - what has that for me, the vision impaired one? It was as if the sermon has been specially prepared for me!
Believing without seeing were the women. They saw an empty tomb. They saw empty grave clothes. But they did not see the Lord. Nevertheless they believed. They were filled with ecstatic awe, because they believed.
When Jesus appeared to Thomas and invited him to touch His wounds, Jesus told Thomas, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed" (John 20:29). In other words, "Thomas, you think seeing is believing. You're mistaken, my friend. Believing is not seeing. Happy are those who, having not seen, still believe."
I believe with those words, Jesus is looking down the long tunnel of ages to come, including our age, even including my impaired vision, He is seeing millions of believers, including you and me, and He is affirming that we love Him and believe in Him, even though we have never seen Him.
(Note - this is meant to be posted last Sunday while in Sibu. But, I thought, I should perfect it. It had been a busy week. Reading this again today, I think, that's it! Hope you find some sense out of it!)
8 comments:
Yes, we all miss you!
pt
When you have faith in Him, you can see everything! Take good care of your eyes Yan! You're so 'cool' about it. I have a colleague of mine who underwent cataract operation and she reacted so emotionally, before and after the surgery. It's been 2 months since the op but she still cries as she relates to me about her fear of loosing her eyesight. Take care!
Yan, you've inspired me with your strength and your faith! When you were here and you related to me of your blurred vision, I felt your immense courage, and that air of "everything's going to be ok" about you is so comforting, to me. And it's ironic, since you're the one who should be the recipient of this comforting. Well, I know you have, through this sermon, "Believing without seeing". *big hugs*
Hi I miss your post and your lively chatter!
I should have said "God must have sent you a free chicken! And remember to share it with Pastor!"
God works in mysterious ways.
Pray incessantly. I used to pray with my son especially when I drove my car up and down a hill....fear of going up and fear of going down...for from where I came from - everything was flat...Sibu!! And it was good.
Mamora, I guess! Very nice lady!...Well, there is none so blind as he who will not see...and the blind leading the blind, will they not fall into the pit?
(this goes to mailbox from the Consultant. He has consented to put this here to share with friends. - Yan)
Dear Yan
Read on Sunday evening, a time for reflectiveness. This is moving firsthand testimony. Happy to have been mentioned (!) but, as I said before, you don't need to beat yourself up over my leg problem. I'm a big boy and responsible for my own health! You're going to see that water village again shortly - as an illustration in my newsletter...
Your avid reader
Blog Fan
pt, I shall be "home" soon to fellow-ship with Wesleyans!
ilene, over the years, I have grown "strong" in some ways. But, I do have my soft spots! Hope your colleague is getting on fine now!
JoMel, you are probably one of the warmest person I have ever met! Thank you so much for welcoming me into your world! I'd love to visit more often! Yes?
Sarawakiana, ya, I do miss praying with young Chris, and thus, do lose quite a fair bit of child-like faith! The chicken for the sin offering and to be shared with pastor, Oops! I think there is none like Rev LT!
STP, we are just physically challenged - and we can overcome with God be our guide, our feet and our eyes! So, why should we worry?
And my dear Consultant, and now calling himself "blog fan" - I am glad that you are not grading my post. It still haunts me when I recalled how you grade my article in that session as part of our learning!
I hope your medical problem is resolved soon. About seeing, sometimes I do not see even when i am looking. Selective eye-sight i think. That is why I still see Mrs BB as she was on our wedding day :)
Post a Comment