Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Eating in a mystical restaurant

If I have not "promised" in Living out of my suitcase that I still have a little to write about Jakarta, I would have just left this out! So, this is long overdue!

We were treated by the host to Lara Djonggrang, a restaurant documented to be the most uniquely romantic restaurant in Jakarta.

However, I did not feel the romance in the air. It's more like a museum to me. There is a lot of Buddha statues, ethnic and antique stuffs. Mystical - I would describe that. The host told us that the restaurant has many private rooms with different touch of decorations. We were in the room called China Blue – decorated with Chinese ceramics and dominated by blue and red colors. There is even Marilyn Monroe room which is embellished with Marilyn Monroe's classic pictures (could it be this one?) on the wall.

However, Marilyn Monroe has no link to the story behind this restaurant.

Once upon a time (or you can say A long, long time ago!), there lived Lara Djonggrang, a princess renowned for her stunning beauty. Lara's father was killed by a powerful man called Bangdung Bondowoso, the son of King Prabu Baka.

Bangdung was determined to marry Lara. Lara of course would not marry the man who had murdered her own father. She said if Bangdung could construct a thousand temple for her overnight, she would marry him.

Bangdung sought help of hundreds of demons. Dawn approached, the demons had completed a large number of temples at startling speed. Lara, worried that the thousand temples would be finished by sunrise, ordered her palace maids to begin pounding rice in the barns and scattered fragrant flowers all over the kingdom. The sound of pounding woke the rooster who then began to crow. When the demons heard the noises and smelled the flowers, they thought that day had come and flew away for their lives.

Only 999 temples were constructed. The enraged Bangdung turned Lara into a stone statue.

The gods heard the prayers sent by the maidens of the kingdom. Touched by Lara's undying love for her father, the gods took Lara to heavens where she found eternal peace.

In line with its mission to keep alive the forgotten, romantic history of Indonesia,Tugu Hotels and Exotic Spas dedicate the Lara Djonggrang restaurant to become, in itself, a part of Indonesia's beautiful history.

The food? I got lost by reading the menu - there were just too many varieties to choose from! It's just too complicated for me. So, I just sat back and ate whatever the host ordered! It's yummy!



4 comments:

Ensurai said...

Beautiful story...and a beautiful mind of a princess. Very touching story of a loving daughter for a murdered father. Thanks.

Princess Lara knew her science.

It must have been a wonderful experience.

Jo said...

Yes, what a beautifully romantic story. I've never been there.. It sounds like a very touristy place.

suituapui said...

Indonesian food... I like!

Lee said...

Hi Yan, looks interesting and I can imagine the large varieties of food.
I have always loved Indon food, Thai too.
Fortunately we have them here.
You keep well, have a pleasant weekend, Lee.