Saturday, September 27, 2008

You're God's Masterpiece

Hubby says, "18 is big. So, the birthday should be celebrated in a big way."

Chris (son) agrees, "Yes, it's big. Ask Jie-jie (sister) to invite some friends to the party."

The birthday girl does not want to invite any friend. She prefers the traditional mee sua with egg and a birthday cake.

Mummy always wants the final say. So, here's the masterpieces of a mother for the 18th birthday of Rachel today -

The Cake (Oop... ordered from a good friend)

And our family all-time favourites -

The must: Mum's Chicken soup meesua and egg

The Prawns (sprinkled with mum's love)

The Spare Ribs (marinated overnight with care)

The Melian (a quick stir fry fern but no compromise on quality)

And...

The Gift

You're God's Masterpiece - never compromise yourself lesser than that!

For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. (Ephesians 2:10)

15 comments:

Jo said...

Happy 18th birthday Rachel!!!

Must have been a very special day with great memories for Rachel. Looking at the food alone.. wooah!! I can really feel the goodness of homemade cooking filled with mother's love. I am now craving for that bowl of mee sua, reminds me of my grandma in sarikei. I am going to get the ingredients to cook. :)

James TC Wong said...

Wah...nice home-cooked birthday dinner! The spare-ribs looked like takeaway from Hock Chew Leu - so professionally cooked! xD

It's advantageous to have you around, Yan! You kao tim everything!

Yan said...

JoMel,

Great that brings memories of your grandma in Sarikei! In my household, dad and Rachel like mee sua, while Chris and I only eat that to entertain on birthday occasions. But, I do make very good mee sua, no boasting!

Yan said...

James,

Yes, yes, very handy to have "mothers" around! I am sure Rosalind can "gao-tim" all, ever in a perfect way!

Yes, the spare ribs is nice. But, the children said the butter prawns are even nicer and they finished them all!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Rachel! And God's richest blessings be yours!!!

Yan, love all your masterpieces, and your labour of love behind each one of them! What a sumptuous meal you put together!!! Growing up, the chix soup with mee sua and egg is also a staple in my family =). I'm not familiar with the melian tho'... reminds me of kangkong!

James TC Wong said...

When can we try your dishes, Yan? You sure know how to make people salivate?! xD

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Rachel...and may all ur wishes come true! Good luck in ur coming SPM Exam (especially English!!!)! How come u never invited me leh? Sob! Sob! I lau nua liao lor!!! Btw, james coming for Raya hols? Yan, u invite him...must remember to invite me oso, ok? LOL!!!!

Anonymous said...

P.S. That must be Marcus'(Delta) blueberry cake! Drool!! Drool!!!

Yan said...

suituapui,

Yes, that's Marcus' cake - the best in town. And Rachel has Marcus' cake all her 18 years. You will be "jealous" if I tell you the price he charges me, and the extra weight each time he puts on my orders, and the extra strawberries, chocolates....

James said he won't be coming for the Raya. I will definitely invite you (my daughter's guru, also my guru, and I am thankful for the many lessons you have given her, whether it's English or in life itself. I know she may be a little devil in teachers' eyes?). What more to say you are James' cousin. Just wonder how Wee and Wong become cousins..

Yan said...

James,

But you cancel your Sibu trip during Hari Raya, or you and Suituapui could possibly enjoy my cooking, or be terrified!

Yan said...

bp,

I learnt it much from you - being there for the children. Especially for Rachel, I have missed much of her growing years. And soon she will be leaving home - few months' time. I am catching up with more "roots" now. And glad that I am seeing much results!

James TC Wong said...

Be patient, be patient ... u just wait arh... I will taste your imperial dishes...

Wong and Wee cousins? I guess it could be typo error during birth cert registration. Teacher Pui, what say you?

doc said...

belated birthday greetings to Rachel. you have brought her up well.

just me said...

Birthday wishes to daughter.

Praying that she will be blessed mightily and be used by God to bless others.

长竹 said...

I like ur Bilien very much. How u cook it? Have u pour some water in? I always cook it in spoiled way,dry and the dish doesn't look nice as well. See, ur Belien are fat and taseful.
Really can't believe a working lady like u can cook so nice dishes for ur family and friends!Hoping that one day in the future I have that lucky chance to taste them......