Greeted me right after we crossed the ferry was our longest-serving (probably, he has been with the newspapers for over 50 years) agent, Mr Wong Ing Tuang. While faithfulness is not a quality highly esteemed nowadays, Ing Tuang Ge (brother Ing Tuang as he is commonly addressed) is someone who will not quit; someone who sees his work as a service to the readers, who has undertaken it out of gratitude in his own life and heart, and no matter how tough it gets, will not quit. We took this picture at the coffee shop where Jamie had her "laksa",while I was disciplined not to take extra load before the lunch which Mr Wong had arranged in advance!
"Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful" (1 Corinthians 4:2)
It was a pleasant surprise to spot a classmate of mine, Wong Teck Sing at the coffee shop. I remember Teck Sing as one who wrote near-to-perfect handwriting. I guess it was the training of parents who were both teachers! I was one of those students whose imagination ran wild and at all times wished to throw away the school bag and shoes and enjoyed story books only. And I really did threw away my bag and shoes for a while and touched the grass there in Sarikei to remember the good old days!
Mark Twain once said he would like to live his life again, until he reached 15, and then drown! Having grown up with his youth adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, I think I know what he meant! And last weekend, I identified more with what he said!
Look at these happy faces of the young ones. We were organizing a General Knowledge Quiz for students of the upper primary classes. There were over 170 students participating. They did not cheer to my "Saya Anak Sarikei". Probably, they knew I am only half "anak Sarikei", or they were also thinking of throwing away their shoes after the one-hour mental work!
Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. And everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; but I buffet my body and make it my slave, lest possibly, after I have preached to others, I myself should be disqualified. 1 Cor 9:24-27
Here is our "singful" or "sinful" 9-course lunch.
Food for thought?
16 comments:
Your company is fortunate to have people like Ing Tuan and Azahari who remain loyal for life. I know both of them.Btw, that was a wonderful 9-course lunch....which restaurant and how much did it cost? On a different note, some of the photos in my latest post on logging were taken at TL Timber above Belaga.I went with your hubby when he was the GM there.
Slurpszzz!!! Paying u a return courtesy visit. Thanks for dropping by my blog; I've linked u in my blogroll! The food in Sarikei must be very cheap! Used to be very cheap and very delicious! Haven't been for a few years now...
...how to finish? So much food? xD
rubberseeds,
It's at Fung Kiew Kee, the old and famous restaurant in Sarikei. Ing Tuang said it's RM300.
I have seen the pictures of the logging at your blog and was wondering whether it was TL. In fact, for the past few days I have been searching for those pictures which I thought those were also in my album. Could you have possibly given a set to my hubby at that time? I have not found those pictures because there were so many to scan through!
suituapui,
Thanks for dropping by! I know you are an English guru! Shy for me, I think! Having an English guru reading my blog!
James,
Do you know there is a foochow term called "da bao" and people with surname "Tiong" can also help.
Understand what I mean about "Tiong"? If not, just call me!
in that case...when is your next trip? hahaha!
Probably I did give him some copies. I went to the camp from kapit by speed boat. What an experience shooting the pelagus Rapids! And I stayed 1 night at the camp.
rubberseeds,
Will find these pictures. I have some pictures taken at the pelagus rapids too. Those were the days!
hi yan,
i just came across your comments on SAHM's on your keep-fit routine... way to go, gal, and that's a trimmer, healthier you i see in these pictures! =) so i guess when it comes to food, glorious food, it doesn't hurt to give yourself a treat now and then... but everything in moderation, yah?
And I love how you kicked back and relaxed like Tom Sawyer would! Have a great week now!
bp, yes, that is a great achievement! I have never felt that light before. I still have 2 kg to go and probably will blog about it soon.
The food? It really does not tempt me now. I let my chopsticks taste the food only! The best actually was only the fish and the vegetables. The fruits were glorious, but too sweet.
"Where do we draw the line between a normal satisfying of our appetites and a normal enjoyment of food for pleasure? Gourmandism - keeping records of all the restaurants that serve the finest food - or gluttony - planning our feasts and build our life around them and indulge in eating?"
...It's the Chinese tradition that everything centres around food and our guests must have had their fill before they leave - hence, the sio bee and fried noodles at the end of every feast in the old days - otherwise, it would mean "loss of face".
suituapui,
I am one of those "modern old woman" or may be I am not warm and hospitable enough! It's just not in me to push food to my guests. My guests take whatever they like, whatever amount they can take and if they say they are watchful on their diet, I let them go! And I want to be treated that way by the host.
And it's total horror story to me if I am seated next to a person who keeps on using his chopsticks (imagine he licks the chopsticks, yuk!) to take food for me... These are signs of getting old, older and older...
I just had Mulu laksa at Mulu Park HQ and it tasted like watered down curry with lime to give a zing. Is this what the famed Sarawak laksa tastes like as well? I didn't get to taste the laksa in Miri as it was sold out.
Hi, blogpastor,
I am not adventurous with food. I cook though. Laksa at Mulu Park might not be so great :)
I go for laksa here in Kuching -
http://www.vkeong.com/2007/10/03/sarawak-laksa/
Try this when you next visit Sarawak.
Yan, understand your horror at the "licking chopsticks " part.
Would be good if chinese dishes have a serving ladle for each dish ?
Post a Comment