It was actually a prickly, thorny experience with an elder this week. While allowing God to brighten my days with His perspective, I also remember my mother in many ways.
Remembering my mother just could not do without food. Mum had a specialty that she would never miss making during Chinese New Year. It's yam kuih or wor-kuih, the Foochow Style. She would make many trays and give half a tray each to her children staying in Sibu. Mum was not able to give a recipe in a scientific way. Each of the ingredient was "agat-agat". Yet she never failed to make a perfect tray - just the right taste and the right texture!
I woke up this morning missing mum very much. I went to the 7:30 am Sunday Worship Service, still did not feel better. We still have much leftover from Rachel's birthday dinner yesterday. It meant I would not have to fix lunch. I decided that I would make yam kuih, my mother's way - ingredients according to my instinct.
As the two trays of yam kuih were put in the streamer, I still had not got over that feeling. I stepped on my cross-trainer, burning much of my calories while with the iPod playing eight variations of Cannon in D plugged in my ears... Overlooking into my garden, my eyes were transfixed on the flowers and trees dancing in the wind. It was an awesome sight to behold. And it was aesthetically perfect - the hurts were lost in the midst of the clappings of the trees and flowers!
The yam kuih was almost ready when I thought I would give it a topping for another perspective.
So, the yam kuih is not my mother's Foochow way, but with the Hokkien's raddish and dried prawns and shallots on top... I think I see my mum smiling in heaven ...
It's really up to us to transform the thorns, the unpleasant experiences into spiritual encounters with our Lord. It's not quite my mother's yam kuih, but my mother's way - I have a tray to give to my younger sister! I also realized my mother's secret recipe to her perfect yam kuih - in whatever circumstance, she possessed a quiet confidence that God would see her through.
6 comments:
Hugz...
pt
Can get inspired also during sweating?! Teach me! xD
I really miss the Foochow-styled yam kueh. Brings back memories of Yien King Restaurant...
Aiya, I shouldn't access your blog during "no-eating" hours!
pt,
Hugs too!
James,
It's really up to us! Whether to get His perspective, or to resist the temptation of food. :)
Keep looking up and you will be amazed. I know time and again, you have been amazed by the wonder of His wonders!
Blessings
thanks for your constant reminders to look up when we're down. hugs for you, Yan, and i would love some of your yummy yam cake!
Hi Yan...got here through Dobbs' site. I love yam kuih too, and mum loves making them for me. She makes them just like in the picture...lots of topping! Would love to try the Foo chow version someday :)
Post a Comment