Monday, September 15, 2008

Learning time

Friday. I was just catching my breath after reaching my office at the 2nd floor when Rachel (my sweet 17 daughter) called, "Mummy, can you come home and send me to see a doctor?"

"Are you sick?"

"No, I was knocked by a motorcycle and my legs are bleeding." That was calm answer.

She was calm. That calmness calmed me down though it meant she was involved in an accident.

"Daddy is at home. Can you let me talk to daddy?" I thought she was still that little girl and would get a better picture and assess the situation from the daddy.

She was ready when I reached home several minutes later. Again, she was very calm and even sort of "cool". I was calmed by her even further.

Along the way, she related that she was at fault. The motorcyclist seemed to have hurted her finger while the son was not hurted. She had no further details of the motorcyclist.

As we were registering at the A&E, a woman arrived too. She had a visible wound on her ring finger. The facial expression and body language showed that she was in pain.

"Was she the motorcyclist?" I asked Rachel. She nodded, and now tears welled up her eyes. She felt sorry for causing other people's pains!

I saw compassion, sympathies and regrets in her teary eyes. I also saw concern, compassion and sympathies for Rachel in the woman's own pains. There were no pointing of fingers!

I related this to a good friend, he wrote, "Rachel is certainly a righteous and sensitive girl."

I have much to learn from the sweet-17.

(Rachel walks back home from school everyday. She does not need to cross the road. But with the major makeover of the stretch of road, she has to take a detour and she would need to cross the road.)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, friend, it seems we have to "talk and get it done". That stretch of road is causing much jam and now an accident!

Glad the sweet-17 is fine.

She is really cool and calm! You have taught her well.

pt

Jo said...

an angel was watching out for the sweet-17 Yan! I am so glad that she is fine and nothing serious happened.

Yan said...

Thanks, JoMel, angels are watching over us!

The sweet-17 is looking for a miracle cream which works magic for the scars/marks of the wounds. It works like this -

Now you see it
Now you don't

Any recommendation, JoMel? :)

stay-at-home mum said...

I am glad she is ok. you have really taught her well. Now can you teach me how to teach my kids??

bp said...

phew! thank God for His protection, and you've taught your children well. so sensible, so sensitive of Rachel!

for the scat, how abt try and see if there's vit E cream from the pharmacy?... cd get it back in S'pore, but don't see it here tho.

bp said...

scar i mean

Jo said...

haha.. try MEDERMA! As with any scars, it takes time...

Yan said...

stay-at-home-mum,

Hey, there are days that she is a little devil! There are less of such blue days as she grow older.

Yan said...

bp,

Still drawing wisdom from above and like you, live day by day. And all by His grace. There are painful days too!

God always protects. Yes, He really does.

Thanks - vit E - will look around.

Yan said...

jomel,

See, beautiful lady like you always have some miracles cream or the like in your dictionary!

Mederma - great name! See, Med comes from Medicine, derma for skin :)