Monday, September 8, 2008

The Heart's Eye


I went to have an eye examination on Sunday after experiencing fatigue and blurry vision for the past week.

The doctor dilated my eyes. While he looked into my eyes, he kept asking me, "Look at my ear." Probably that is looking forward and his ear is just the right spot to look at. That was good to keep me focused and that should have made his examination easier.

After examination, with the doctor and patient separated by the machine, he said my eyes were perfectly healthy.

"But, I have been experiencing fatigue and blurry eyes."

Hearing this, he pushed his chair a foot away, folded his arms, and said, "You must have your eyes checked and changed your glasses."

I was not able to see the exact expression on his face because the vision was blur after the dilation and also I did not have my glasses on as yet. His body language told me that he was offended by my seemingly challenging his professionalism and diagnosis.

I was sent away hastily with no further discussion.

And yesterday, I started to have teary, itchy and red eyes!

How often do we send loved ones, colleagues or subordinates away without seeing and hearing? How often we miss our blessings because -

However, as it is written:
"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived
what God has prepared for those who love him" (1 Cor 2:9)

5 comments:

iml said...

You should seek a 2nd opnion. Looks like this doctor has forgotten to use his heart and ears when examining you.

stay-at-home mum said...

Hope your eyes are better now. Like iml said, this doc seems to think he knows better than the patient. Go see one that will listen to you!!

James TC Wong said...

Pray you get better soon!

Yan said...

iml, SAHM, James,

Thanks so much!

Can see better today!

bp said...

hope you're all better and seeing perfectly, as perfect as our glasses will allow us ;p