
On the road. Rachel, the sweet-17 asked,
"Mummy, do you have many friends in your phone directory that start with Dr.?"
I remember reading it in the Readers' Digest that if you have many names starting with Dr in your phone directory, it means you are getting old.
I thought, ah, she wanted to tell me that "I am old" if I said "yes".
"Yes. But they are all my friends, not my doctors."
"Mummy, don't be sensitive. You are aging gracefully and you do not not need doctors of different specialties as yet to take care of you. I want to know if any of your doctor friends can tell me if there is a miracle cream that could help my wounds on the knees and ankles to heal faster and do the magic of 'now you see it, now you don't'?"
When do you know you are getting old? It looks like getting over-suspicious is also one of the signs.
A contributor of one of my newspaper columns recently wrote "Good Health at Old Age" starting with thoughts from his friend who asked, "How are you?". He lamented,
“When you complain so much about the prices of drugs, you know you are getting old’”
With this lamentation, this contributor's friend retorted, “When you talk of nothing but your health, you are old.”
So, how are you?
8 comments:
If you, upon finishing your shopping, forget where you parked your car, you are old. Happened to me many times already.
Lol!
fishtail,
Life is much simplier here - at least there is no nightmare of forgetting where I have parked my car! I believe I would worry if I park my car in shopping malls carparks in your city.
When the day comes, may be carrying a notebook would help? Oop.. where did I put my notebook? LOL
James,
Don't LOL - we are all destined to the days when we forget the name, then the face, and then, talking of health over and over, and forget many things!
If we have some kind of hobby which we can indulge in and share with friends I think we still can have a happy and meaningful life when we get old.Lately I met up and dined with 2 old photographers,one is 74 and the other is 81. They still travel and snap away happily.
Hi, Yan,
Hope Rachel recovers well.
Age does not matter, but when you begin to smell the flowers, appreciate the moon and stars, and listen to classical music.. you have aged.
ooh, ooh! I am old. 8 doctors names on my phone contact list - the paed, the paed dentist, cardiologogist, my dentist, gynae, general med, surgeon, and neighbourhood doc. Definitely old. Sometimes cant find my specs, and it is on top of my head!!
i find this post relates to me :) i read all the labels on food packages, discuss the latest drugs, read medical news etc hahahahaha.
but when the moment comes, i will b glad to go. I told Daniel I am not looking forward to an after life whether it is positive or negative and he was shocked :)
Sometimes I feel I should try my best not to do harm, try my best to do good, and let the afterlife take care of itself.
Post a Comment