Thursday, August 6, 2009

Storm in the teacup?

When I first arrived here in Kota Kinabalu, a colleague told me that water here is very dirty. Every house has a water filter installed. All the colleagues bring their own water to office to drink. I thought, how dirty can it be? However, with that advice, I buy mineral water most of the time to drink.

Still, I boil water in my apartment to drink. I still need to cook. I still have cleaning needs.

This afternoon, I left some water in my teacup. This is what I saw by evening when I thought of refilling the cup!

I have just taken my dinner - the JoMel's way of cooking the chicken (not free ranch though. To make it up, I added in two boiled eggs probably from the free ranch chicken?). I know it makes no sense at all to put two together. No, it did not upset me!

In fact, I am thankful because it tells my eyesight is improving - seeing the small particles in the water. My cup overflows - sharing with you, if you think there is a storm in your teacup!

I’ve never made a fortune,
and it’s probably too late now.
But I don’t worry about that much,
I’m happy anyhow.

And as I go along life’s way,
I’m reaping better than I sowed.
I’m drinking from my saucer,
‘Cause my cup has overflowed.

Haven’t got a lot of riches,
and sometimes the going’s tough.
But I’ve got loving ones all around me,
and that makes me rich enough.

I thank God for his blessings,
and the mercies He’s bestowed.
I’m drinking from my saucer,
‘Cause my cup has overflowed.

I remember times when things went wrong,
My faith wore somewhat thin.
But all at once the dark clouds broke,
and the sun peeped through again.

So Lord, help me not to gripe,
about the tough rows I have hoed.
I’m drinking from my saucer,
‘Cause my cup has overflowed.

If God gives me strength and courage,
When the way grows steep and rough.
I’ll not ask for other blessings,
I’m already blessed enough.

And may I never be too busy,
to help others bear their loads.
Then I’ll keep drinking from my saucer,
‘Cause my cup has overflowed.

When I think of how many people
in this world have it worse than I do.
I realize just how lucky most of us really are.
(Author unknown)

12 comments:

Jo said...

that's how the water is in my mum's place in Irian Jaya. And everybody just gets used to it. Nobody uses filter. Only tourists drink from the mineral water bottle.

How was the chicken dish? I hope it's yummy! I eye the hard boiled eggs *drools*

stay-at-home mum said...

There's been a lot of "talk" recently about mineral water over here... the possible leakage in the bottles when exposed to the sun during transportation, etc, and everyone is strongly encouraged to go back to good old tap water. If the sediments are a concern, use a filter. To save money, use the old fashioned ones ...homemade from cloth and attached to the tap with a rubber band!!

iml said...

Looks like rust sediments. You need a filter on the tap. Like SAHM I'm all for tap water. But boiled.

Ensurai said...

Good of you to show the tea cup and the sediments at the bottom.

Not all mineral water in bottles is really mineral water. Evian is also too expensive but who knows some of the boxes of bottled evian water may be from someone's backyard (this is a wild shot and guess knowing how unscrupulous people can be)
My mother swears on the Saludor (Cheaving) water filter from the old days.
She said the water which comes out if it is really good.
this is what I do..I boil water in my kettle and then pour the water into a big bottle. The next day I will pour the bottled water into a good canister and try to leave the sediments behind...Miri water is terrible too.
Do not drink any machine filtered water without boiling. I really think it is not safe.

Superman said...

The water is really dirty woh...Many said the water in KL is also very dirty. Luckily our side is not so bad. But the bowl of chicken soup looks very nice. Hungry now.

Yan said...

JoMel,

Ya, there was no luck, no potato in the store that I ran into! He..he.. An egg lover will give all excuses to add an egg!

Well, just have to get use to drinking unclean water here, I guess!

Yan said...

SAHM,

That's a brilliant idea - cloth and rubberband! Going to do that to see how much dirty things being filtered!

Yan said...

iml,

For convenience here, I grab a bottle of mineral water for drinking in the office. Still boil water in the house.

Yan said...

sarawakiana,

Ration of water in Sarawak now? So, drink whatever available should be the attitude now.

Yan said...

Superman,

Yes, it's delicious. Err.. the chicken, not the water! Still have one portion left for lunch. Dinner? A feast tonight at Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort! How about that?

doc said...

our cups overflow from the blessings from God through your writing.

i want to drink from my saucer, too!

suituapui said...

I wish they made small water filters for one person...so I could buy one for my daughter. She's too lazy to buy mineral water (to carry the bottles back from the town to the dorm, to be more precise) and thinks boiling water is such a fuss! Sigh!