I love interviewing people! Learning the skills today is a refresher. Well, there is always something new that we don't know. This tip may give you some thoughts.
"Remember to close the gate"
A story is told of an elderly lady contacting a newspaper reporter she had only met once previously, with a story tip-off. She could have given the story to any one of several reporters on rival papers. "Why me?" asked the lucky reporter. "After all, the only contact we have had was when I came to interview more than a year ago and other reporters did exactly the same."
"Ah yes," replied the old lady. "But you were the only one who closed the gate."
One lesson here is obviously that a little care and consideration can pay dividends. The second is that you must also make sure that you "close the gate" on your story by buttoning up any loose ends.
"Remember to close the gate"
A story is told of an elderly lady contacting a newspaper reporter she had only met once previously, with a story tip-off. She could have given the story to any one of several reporters on rival papers. "Why me?" asked the lucky reporter. "After all, the only contact we have had was when I came to interview more than a year ago and other reporters did exactly the same."
"Ah yes," replied the old lady. "But you were the only one who closed the gate."
One lesson here is obviously that a little care and consideration can pay dividends. The second is that you must also make sure that you "close the gate" on your story by buttoning up any loose ends.
Probably, by "closing the gate" is the answer to doc's hot deal?
5 comments:
Small gestures can make BIG impressions, and I guess 1st impressions do count!!
I always told my students that writing an essay is like going to the toilet - firstly, they must open/unzip = write the introduction and when they have finished, they must close/zip up = close with a conclusion...and their writing must have direction (=organisation), not haphazard going in all directions... LOL!!! I'm such a horrible teacher, hor!
I agree that sometimes I also not taking care of those little small details and those small details maybe will changed many things.
STP, what a nice explanation to the students. hehe.
STP,
i think that's how i'm going to teach my son to write essays!
any more good pointers??
thanks for the tip. This is something we know and yet we need constant reminders.
Post a Comment