Rachel (daughter) once remarked, "Your friendship or relationship is so much about sharing of food." Now that she is in Adelaide, I think she appreciates more about this "foodship" and would probably say that one of the mother-daughter connection is also "foodship". Just yesterday, she texted me,"Mummy, I have bought onions, carrots and broccoli, bean sprouts. How to cook? I have tomato sauce, salt, chicken stock, eggs and corn flour."
Aha! I called her. She said, "It's so cheap. 14 sticks of carrots for A$1. Now, I just want to get rid of those carrots in my fridge."
Back to my "friendship". Sandra and I have been friends for over two decades. Ours is great friendship in our own ways - from little secrets to food, in riches and poverty - yes, we went through together. She stays in Kuching. I stay in Sibu. Now that I travel almost like every week to Kuching, we meet more often. It could be just a quick lunch or a drop-off at airport or at times, we have the luxury of enjoying some rich hot chocolate in a nice cafe late into the night!
Last Friday, we shared food. I bought some "kong-pia" - plain and some stuffed with meat. And she shared with me meat loaf that she made the night before. When I said it's yummy, she stopped at Choice Daily on the way to airport. And there, I got some ground beef and minced pork and even a loaf of bread! That's all I need to make that delicious meat loaf.
That's a delightful business and food trip!
Back home, I was even more delighted to read Jomel's Meat Balls. That was exactly a mixture of pork and beef!
And so, on Saturday, with the warmth of friendship - that of Sandra and JoMel - I mixed the ingredients! Now, meat balls or meat loaf? I decided to steam it instead of pan-frying.
So, I have a loaf of in Sandra's way in my white bread (mang-tao). I made my own dried noodles topped with the meat. I made some spagethi (I used angel hair) the JoMel's way!
6 comments:
Our world is more beautiful because of girl friends who understand and care!!
You are a great girl!!
I agree with sarawakiana! You are a great girl Yan!! :)
You made my eyes go misty leh... I am so touched, knowing that such a simple gesture as sharing a recipe, can have such a profound effect...
*sigh*
Let food unite mankind, Yan. So be it!
Ahhh, fusion... food (the east meets west), and friends faraway and near coming together...
what a delightful combination!
Cheers to both!
Yes, food is the string that binds many friendships!!
So, how about breakfast or lunch the next time you come to the little red dot?
Your daughter is studying in Adelaide now? I missed Adelaide...Really a great place for studies. Not like other major cities in Australia, it is very organized and quiet city. It is quite a safe place compare to cities like Melbourne and Sydney. Will go back to visit there once I have the time and money. Hehe.
friends and food. nothing beats sharing a conversation, sharing food. that makes friends even more special. this makes the moment extra special!
Post a Comment