Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Stimulate Me

The economy needs stimulation. So, globally, there are stimulation plans, one after the other. From Obama's Stimulation Plan to Najib's 60b Stimulus Plan, it has not improved my confidence to spend more. Or it has not stimulated me, neither has it stimulated my 13-year-old son.

After his Jie-jie (sister) left for Australia, Chris has been very careful with his spending. Gone are the days when he would want a treat at Pizza Hut or his favourite eating place, Sweet Family for his sweet and sour pork. He has settled with an old handphone of his dad after he "machine-washed" his handphone. He has not wanted a trip to shopping mall to pick up some movie DVDs. He has also refused my offer to buy him some new shirts or pants!

Even a much persuaded trip to Popular Book Shop two nights ago only got him to buy two books. When I suggested that there was a newest book by his favourite author, he held on the book for a while and put it back and said, "May be next time. Times are bad."

Perhaps, this is a wild dream. But Chris seems to say, "If the money is given to me in the stimulation plan, I shall be stimulated to spend more to stimulate the economy."

We are no economists and we seem to sound stupid. But Noble-Prize-Winning Paul Krugman actually thinks so. Read here.

Stimulate me? If given a small fraction from the stimulation plan, I promise I shall spend the money to stimulate the economy by doing this -

1. Get a new laptop for myself - I gave my prized-sony to Rachel to bring to Australia
2. Bring Chris for a treat at Pizza Hut
3. Get Chris a 100g-bag of Famous Amos whenever I pass by Kuching International Airport
4. Get Chris some new shirts and pants as he has lost quite a fair bit of weight and is pulling his pants up now and then
5. Officially tell Rachel that she could eat out once a month in Australia and charge to the supplementary credit card

Will you also spend if stimulated?

12 comments:

ilene said...

Oh yes YAN, I sure will! Amongst my list would be to proceed with the purchase of that one particular house which I've been aiming for sometime!

Anonymous said...

1/ LOL!
2/ Nice new profile pic
3/ Still interested in the Canon 50D? :)

I Am Sarawakiana said...

I like the caption "Your thoughts count..."
It is nice to put down our thoughts on your page for this topic:
As some one who is already retired and may be a wish list:
a) increase the number of phone calls to those who do not have the internet
b) travel more by checking out all the cheapest flights and buses to stimulate air travel
c) buy a new camera
d) get a new kitchen which has been postponed for 20 years

Superman said...

The economy is really bad now and it will getting worse. Really need to spend wisely and save hard before the storm hit the shore. You have a great son there. Good boy.

Jo said...

(No. 5)... I can so imagine how happy Rachel have felt!! :)

Jo said...

and to answer your question: OH YES!!

Lee said...

Hi Yan, good posting...I get stimulated by my wife's smile and cooking, ha ha.
You have a nice day, best regards, Lee.

Bengbeng said...

Chris is amazing. Benghui would like to buy the whole world if he could. At the moment he just wants to continue to go to Sunday school :)

Yan said...

Bengbeng,

Send Benghui over to my house to play with Chris gor-gor (big brother) one day? Chris is pretty lonely at home and I am sure he will enjoy Benghui's company. I have a basketball court in the garden, Chris will really love to have someone to run around!

Bengbeng said...

Thanks. I will seriously consider that. At the moment he is in mummy's bad books :D . He didn't do well in some recent tests .

Yan said...

Bengbeng,

Oh dear, don't be too hard on the little boy lah! Please do call me (you have my number, right?) when you, Mrs Bengbeng and little Benghui are ready to drop by.

Bengbeng said...

Thanks :)