Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My Mother taught me about Friendship

I have always pondered on my late mum's words about friends. She said, "We can't say we have no friend. The key to friendship is giving. My friend is the one whose needs I meet. If this is the key, then, we should have many friends for there is no end to meeting the needs of others."

In my mother's teaching, friendship is not something which occurs on my behalf or something someone extends to me. A friend is someone to whom I give, someone I want to share life with.

That is what a friend is.

What has your mother taught you?

(Thanks to SAHM for sharing "Things my mother taught me.)

7 comments:

ilene said...

Mum taught me to be very careful with the friends we mixed with as some may have ulterior motives!

The last thing mum taught me just before she passed away was,the Christian way of life and have asked me to give some thoughts towards that direction.

I Am Sarawakiana said...

My grandmother taught me this : you must be careful always and know what being good is all about.
I did not realise for a long time that she gave me the important legal framework : do no harm.

She was a child bride bought for 5 silver dollars by the second Kang Chu Mr. Lau Kah Tii for my grandfather Mr. lau Kah Chui. Unlike the blessed new generation she never went to school.

Superman said...

My mother always told me that you need friends but not many friends. A few good friends will be good enough. Quality friends better than quantity.

Superman said...

My mother always told me that you need friends but not many friends. A few good friends will be good enough. Quality friends better than quantity.

Jo said...

Yan, how ironic. I have just written about the same person in my life and now I read what you wrote. Yan, my heart aches even more reading this.

I Am Sarawakiana said...

Sorry I did not finish with my comment. Then she brought up five wonderful daughters one of whom became my mother.
My mother taught me : never carry tales - it is painful. She is still living according to this principle apart from others.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Your son looks thinner... I can see the resemblance to Rachel now...