Monday, March 2, 2009

Sweating over a red capsicum



Many years ago, Richard Carlson wrote this book called "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff". I got hold of a book and did really think "it's all small stuff" for bad news, difficult persons and even disappointments. Life indeed has been a lot easier, bad news seem easier to be taken, people seem a little kinder and disappointments are not blown out of proportion.

But, yesterday, I sweated over this little red capsicum!

Sometimes back, I blogged about buying things in wet market in one store always. The usual vegetable store did not have any red capsicum. I went to another store and picked three capsicums. 6 ringgit, the store-owner said. I took a second look and found that one of the capsicums was not that perfect, so I changed one. There were three on the scale. I would not be wrong. Because I needed three capsicums!

I got back and found that there were only two in the bags! Two capsicums for six ringgit?

Having seen some previous cases in the market with her on the matter of honesty, I thought I would want to straighten out the matter with her. This morning, I went to my usual vegetable store. I picked two red capsicums of about the same size and it was four ringgit. I put on another one and was told - six ringgit!

I thought, should I confront that woman? It would end up in an argument and she would make a show out of it. It was a real struggle.

This little stuff of capsicum thoughts stopped me -

Each time you resist "being right", or "your right" and instead choose kindness, you'll notice a peaceful feeling within.

And that is a peace within throughout the day!

It's all small capsicum only...

20 comments:

James Wong said...

You did right, Yan! xD

bp said...

Yay, you're right, these little battles are the kind we can save sweat over, tho' i know what u mean that it can be a real struggle! u chose well, and now, have a peaceful week ahead, Yan!

Jo said...

Yan, so, what are you going to do with the other capsicum? Cook some more bolognese for spaghetti?

I bought one today too.. it's so expensive I tell you. The green ones are far cheaper but they don't taste as good as the red and yellow ones. I'm making a vegetable stew tomorrow. Hope I get round to posting the recipe and the photos in my blog, if I am not too busy with the cake (hubby's bday tomorrow!) :)

stay-at-home mum said...

In this case i think you were right not to bring it up.We have to choose our battles. Way to go, bestest Mum!!

Yan said...

James,

Thanks for the encouragement. I really really wanted to tell that woman off. He..he..

Yan said...

bp,

Thinking back today - for two dollars? It's really too small to sweat over it.

Yan said...

JoMel,

You are sharp! I want to try your Couscous that goes with Lamb and Vegetable Stew! Have bought the lamb, and the Couscous! Probably tonight?

Do you know that poor me have to get Couscous and Lagsana sheets in KL?

Yan said...

SAHM

Bestest mum? We all are! Way to go, all mothers here!

iml said...

One thing for sure, she has just lost one customer.

Shionge said...

Sometimes it is the principle so I will not patronise that vegetable stall anymore...she don't believe in repeated customer for sure.

Jo said...

Yan, what do you know?! I AM cooking cous-cous tonight too, but with vegetable stew (with white button mushrooms and canellini beans)! I shall post up my vegetable stew recipe latest by tomorrow morning ok, in case you have not made your cous-cous tonight yet. :) We are on the same wavelength Yan. hahah.

Yan said...

iml,

Sure she had lost me long time ago.

Yes, I really still prefer visiting the usual store!

At least, I do not have to sweat over small stuff.

Yan said...

Shionge,

I do hope to patronize all the stalls. That was the principle of my late dad in law. But, I have yet found the time to compare vegetables and prices in the market. During my retirement days, I will do so - Hello to all the stalls in the market and be welcomed every where. He..he..

Yan said...

JoMel,

Don't stress yourself in posting the recipe. I would love to have the vege stew!

Hey, your hubby's birthday today? My hubby is celebrating his tomorrow, 3rd of March! But, I have no courage to bake a birthday cake. Probably, would have to wait for your instructions in perfecting the cake! Deal?

Anonymous said...

I will always let things like that pass. I tell myself - the money will not make much of a difference. It will not make me poor, nor will it make her rich! If it is done with the intent to cheat me, God is all-seeing and all-knowing... They will have to account to Him one day, not me.

Jo said...

Yan, my dad's birthday is tomorrow, 3rd March!! Oh lala!!! haha..

Hey Yan, you still have time to bake the cake. I also did mine this afternoon, in time for dinner!

Check out my food blog.. I baked Chocolate Walnut Brownie and topped it with Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting. I promise you, it's so easy to do! I have posted the recipe of the Sour cream frosting together in my Vege Stew post... and as for the Chocolate Walnut Brownie recipe, just follow the one that I posted a few months ago, I'm sure you know which.

Pour the walnuts into the batter at the final step after you have folded in the flour. Not sprinkle on top ok.

Good luck!! hehehe

Yan said...

STP,

Yes, we are all accountable to God!

Yan said...

JoMel,

Thank you so much for putting up the recipes. I would surely try out the cake one day. Chris' birthday is too far away. Mine is even a longer wait. But, I am sure Chris does not mind the overflowing chocolate like how MeiMei likes it! So, soon, very soon.

I ordered the cake. He..he.. that's the easy way. But I cook the meesua to his heart's content!

ilene said...

Yan, after reading your 'trauma' at the market, I posted an article I read sometime back and I think the law of garbage applies here! hehehe

Take a peek!

Yan said...

Ilene,

Thank you for sharing. I have forgotten that story totally! See how many nice stories we read, but sometimes, we forgot, but never into the garbage truck lah!

So nice of you, Ilene.