Sunday, February 15, 2009

Adelaide Meals

The Sunny Girl texted me early yesterday morning - mum, it's my turn to cook tonight. Can you teach me how to cook a yummy vege dish using broccoli? I texted back giving a precise and short recipe. She texted back - one more question, how much water to add into rice and how to fry rice without getting them lumpy?

Phew... I had a good laugh. Rachel has never like Chinese food. She practically grew up with bread, butter, milk and jam. When she was a little older, she put her hands on making pizza, cakes, cookies, muffins, burgers and spaghetti.

When I suggested to buy a rice cooker to bring over to Adelaide, she said, "Mum, how often do I eat rice?"

I thought, she would survive with bread alone in Adelaide.

While there with her for a week, we went to the wet market. With a fully furnished kitchen at the apartment we stayed, I thought it would be a good time to show her how to cook economical yet nutritious meals. So, we tried this,

and we also tried this,

There are really much to learn - for both mother and daughter.

Today, I have learnt,

When you're a caregiver,
you feel like you're putting your hands on something
every day and that you're making it better.
Even if you're not, you think you are.
So you live in a very fulfilled space.
- Meryl Streep


13 comments:

stay-at-home mum said...

Yes, thats one of the things they all pick up when they go away to study ~ Cooking! And I think the funny thing will be they will want to cook their comfort foods or food from back home! so curry may be next! Get that recipe ready!

Anonymous said...

Man does not live on bread alone! LOL!! My girl's like that too - loves Western food. Bet she'll be the same when she goes overseas. I spent 3 months in the UK...and on the flight back, we were fighting over the miserable in-flight nasi lemak!!! And it tasted SO delicious... Hahahahaha!!!

Shionge said...

Hey the yummy chicken is so delicious looking, do you just marinade it with salt & pepper?

Lee said...

Brocolli? Thats one vegetable I don't go overboard for, though my wife loves it.
You sure can cook, Yan.
The dishes look really delicious.
Have a nice day, Lee.

Anonymous said...

yummy!! you made my hungry early in the morning.. Hahahas!!

Constance Chan said...

gosh this post reminded me of myself. i didn't bother to step into the kitchen in my youth and i had to call mom often then how to cook this and that! now i love cooking.

Yan said...

SAHM,

Chicken rice first! The sunny girl texted last week - one of the boys cooked chicken rice, so nice! He, he.. So, curry is next!

Yan said...

suituapui,

Nasi lemak on the plane? No, thank you!

Yan said...

shionge,

Yes, just salt and pepper and of course, my must-have soya sauce!

Yan said...

Lee,

Far from it - a good cook. Still need a lot of polishing! Wait till I retire :)

Yan said...

victor,

Always welcome to my house for "good" food. Will do so more often!

Yan said...

Constance,

When we have "mouths" to feed, loved ones to appreciate - we always cook a storm!

just me said...

i didn't know your girl is in Adelaide until now. MY niece has just left for Brisbane and my daughter misses her.

What course is your daughter pursuing?