Friday, October 3, 2008

Showing Love


It's time of the year when we remember our loved ones who had gone home to the Lord in anniversaries. It means family members from outstations (beside the sister-in-law and family in America) all come home. "Come home" because I stay with mum-in-law.

Chris (my sunny boy, 13) is especially happy because his two cousin brothers are home. And finally, he is the "gor-gor" (in Foochow, big brother).

He baked (yes, he really did) this what he called chocolate goodies to share with the cousins last night. He thought with all the Melamine's scare, this home-baked chocolates would be best. I retired to bed early and did not get to see the process. I thought I heard him telling his dad in my bedroom last night not to eat the chocolate goodies in the fridge. I took a quick snap this morning of his masterpiece!

Yesterday, at the cementery where we remember our father/grandfather/father-in-law, we heard this reading from 1 Corinthians 13 -

If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

The family remembered the exemplary love shown by the loved one during his lifetime and enjoyed his legacy of love. A story of love was also shared by my brother-in-law. I was so touched to see the littlest of the children, Ryan (aged 4) nodding his head all through the story. You can read the story here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wah! Your son so small can bake cakes liso kah? Can take over Marcus' business one day like that? Ur daughter leh? Only knows how to eat, is it? Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Yan said...

suituapui,

Yes, he is good - being trained by the sister. So, you know Rachel cooks and bakes better. Why not? With a mum who knows how to "delegate jobs" :)

bp said...

can open C&R bakery! well done!

on a more serious note, the reading of that bible message is really meaningful. thanks for sharing how you remember your loved ones.