Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Forward or Delete
On Sunday, a sister of the Church told me with much worries someone had forwarded a mail to her and it was read that she must send the mail back. If she does not do so, "she is not a friend." Her own mail system seems not able to send out mails for the past week.
Now and then, in our mail boxes, we receive touching stories, stories with good intention to warn people of certain dangers, heartwarming stories, miracles, stories appealing for assistance etc. It always ends with like this -
Send this to all the people you know that may need to be reminded that the world we live in has a lot of crazies in it…
Pass this along to every friend you have access to. Never let your guard down.
SOMETIMES, THAT FEELING IN YOUR GUT IS THE VOICE OF GOD.
TRUST YOUR
INSTINCTS!!
Now, when you receive email like this, do you do a “forward” immediately? Living in a closely knitted community like my own home town, I really do have some reservations in doing the “forward” of mails. I know nobody intends to spread rumours. Likewise, we do like to “forward” the mails with good intention. But, so often, we found out that the interesting, heartwarming or hilarious stories are all fictions, or e-rumours.
I stumbled into “Truth or Fiction" site some years back. The site describes itself as “your email reality check”. I also did a search on the stories that I have read through forwarded emails from friends over the years, and to my horror, most of them are either fiction or unproven!
How reliable is this “truth or fiction”, I don’t have a “reality check” also. To trust that instinct or be a partner in the e-rumours?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I seldom forward mails but if I do I'd add in a short note to explain why.
Many ppl like to forward mails without realizing they are not being appreciated!
xD
I used to forward email like that, but recently I have stopped doing so. I too realised that more than half of it is not true, and forwarding some of these emails offends others who do not like to receive it. So the mail now stops at my mail box.
If it's nothing useful nor helpful the mail is read Period
Post a Comment