Thursday, October 9, 2008

Keepers of the house



Howard Schneider of Washington Post has decided to blame Douglas Engelbart for his right shoulder pain.

Douglas Engelbart is the man who invented the computer mouse in the 1960s. Howard is a left-hander. He reasoned that he has been using his left hand for most activities, except that he “mousse” with the right hand.

“Too often with the arm extended and the shoulder twisted in exactly the wrong ways. Multiple stress and bad habits over a couple of decades, add poor posture, and a decline in blood flow associated with aging, and the shoulder becomes a breeding ground for aches and pains.” Howard observed.

I am right-handed. I “mouse” with right hand also. Who could I blame for the nagging pain that has developed in my left shoulder in the past year or so? The pain can be annoying – it interferes with sleep, it causes a loss of motion.

I have decided to blame it on aging!

The Searcher describes old age in Ecclesiastes 12:2-8 very well.

In the day when the keepers of the house tremble...

The keepers of the house - are these not our arms and legs?

6 comments:

James TC Wong said...

Sister...i think foot reflexology might help to elevate the pain in your left shoulder. Or was it golf that caused the pain?

Your reason aging is totally unacceptable...LOL!

xD

Yan said...

Golf? No, I don't play golf. And I hardly "play golf" at home - sweeping the floor lah :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I've just nominated you for an award. Hop by my blog to check it out! Hope that's a welcome relief to your pain! Have a nice weekend!

Constance Chan said...

wow i didn't know the mouse had been invented as early as 60s! i, too blame it on the mouse but then i was in denial that my chair table height were totally wrong.. i have not just that pain in my right shoulder but a bad wrist too from all that clicking.

i use my left hand for many tasks because i'm a left hander. but i picked up eating with fork/knife (not chopsticks or fork and spoon) and guitar like a right hander. Guitar was because it was troublesome to restring and also you can't pick up any guitar to play! hehehe.

lefthanders run in our family of women - mom and aunt, my sis and i, her two kids, my eldest daughter. in a chinese dinner, lefties sitting together get as much fun.

bp said...

i hope your pain will go away fast... maybe you can try the reflexology james suggested?

me? i'm rt handed but typing with one (left) hand now... nursing mommies need to be ambidextrous, hahaha!

just catching up with how u are doing, whenever i can steal the time. blessed weekend!

dobbs said...

I am R handed and my shoulder pain is on the R as well, so guess the mouse is to blame! How did your doctor appointment go?