I memorized Psalm 23 in Chinese when I was a small child. Studying the psalm in details was later in my life. It is a wonderful experience each time.
In recent years, I heard of this Psalm of King David more during funeral services. Indeed, it is a psalm for people who are shaken and in turmoil. I attended one funeral service this morning - a young girl who loved God who loved life was taken to be with the Lord in a road accident.
The preacher used Psalm 23 to minister to the family members and friends.
David was experiencing a major upheaval in his life when he composed the twenty-third Psalm. His own son rebelled against him and topped him. He fleed into wilderness. His life was in jeopardy.
Having spent his early life as a shepherd, the psalm must had been drawn right out of his experience as a shepherd.
If the Lord is my shepherd, I shall not lack anything. How does He meet our needs a shepherd would to his sheep?
The basic needs of water and grass are met. These are my inner needs.
The direction in life - He leads me in paths of righteousness. The Wesley Choir sang at the service - I know who holds tomorrow aptly shows that He holds my hand!
He provides protection - even in the valley of the shadow of death, He is always there. That's a comfort.
David changed from the scene of green pastures to a heavenly banquet turning our Lord from a shepherd into a gracious host!
Today, I remember,
The Lord is my shepherd
He leads me in paths of righteousness
He makes me lie down in green pastures
He leads me beside still waters
He takes me through places and danger and darkness!
2 comments:
Psalm 23 is a fave of mine. Thanks for breaking it down into such meaningful terms.
Actually, the pastor did not share it that way during the service. It was part of my inspirations sometimes back.
I am a Methodist, thus a little method-dist, even in reading the Bible :)
Post a Comment